Has anyone ever seen this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I replaced the rubber seats and springs in a Delta lav faucet a few weeks ago and everything was fine 'til today. The customer said that hot water was pouring out even when it was shut off. When I took it apart, a big chunk of the seat was missing. I found nothing sharp that could have done this--no stones, the metal ball stem had no sharp edges, the rubber was not protruding out any more than the other one, the bonnet wasn't too tight.
Also, they said it happened all at once. One minute it was fine. The next, it was Niagara Falls.

Was this just a defective part or is there some other explanation?

Attachments

• Delta 002-low res.jpg
    Delta 002-low res.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Are those Delta Genuine replacement parts?

If they were not Delta parts, most if not all secondary replacement parts for Delta faucets do not have the traditional embedded siliconized coating that is found on true Delta seat cups.

That is designed to keep the seat from sticking to the ball and tearing/cutting the seat, causing distortion and leaking.

Coating the ball with a small amount of food grade plumber's grease and on the bottom side of the camber washer will make the operation of that new rebuild feel like it's on roller bearings.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm sure the seats and springs were the generic delta/delex/peerless type and, for all I know, that old faucet may have been a generic as well. I never had this problem before and have been using these parts for years. I never thought of using grease on the ball stem. Sounds like a good idea.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

At one time I received some Delta seats that would distort after a few weeks and leak. Some also did what yours did. The seats were probably an import.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks