has anyone built a shower stall around a clawfoot tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

srp4

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for advice about making my clawfoot tub into a shower. I don't have room for a separate shower, so at the moment, I use the standard tub-converted-into-shower device with a pole and a metal loop at the top to hold a shower curtain. However, the curtain gets in the way and I don't like the setup. I would like to devise something new: somehow build a shower stall around the clawfoot tub. With some kind of shower walls (glass, or anything sturdy). This way I can keep the tub for bathing, but, have walls instead of a curtain for the shower. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Sarah

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The floor around the tub would need to be sloped toward the drain, and you'd probably want a curb. By the time you took the tub out to build this, you could probably put in a new tub/shower. I suppose you could dump the tub's ouput into the new shower drain, but cleaning underneath could be a pain as well. For a shower, the drain is supposed to be 2" vs. 1.5" for a tub as well, so you may have to tear up some other stuff. Suggest you live with that tub as is if you want to keep it, or chuck it and put in something new, done right.

But, I'd keep an open mind for other suggestions.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I have actually seen this setup once. They brought the surrounding wall around the tub out and even put lino on the wall as the water barrier! All in all it was pretty funny to see.

The cheapest and least sound method would be to fur out the walls and build a tile surround around the tub, but that would look pretty bad and I bet would devalue the setup. I suggest you live with it until you get enough $$$ to either put in a fancy wide shower base, or just go for the normal tub/shower setup.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
We remodeled an old farmhouse bathroom with a Kohler "Birthday Bath" tub in the middle of the room. We had a shower curtain track made that followed the outline of the tub and mounted on the ceiling (next time you go to the hospital, look at the curtains isolating the beds). Worked fine, looked good (curtain hung down on beaded chain), and didn't crowd the showerer(s). If your floor can handle puddling water, you could allow the curtain to hang outside the tub. Ours was hardwood, so we sized the curtain to hang just outside the tub for looks, but tucked in inside the tub when in use.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks