Hardwiring a lamp to a receptacle without eliminating receptacle

Users who are viewing this thread

Keith5523

Reaction score
I couldn't find this answer by searching so I'm probably not asking in the right context. I need to wire a nightlight lamp to an existing receptacle. I'm okay keeping the receptacle, and I'm okay eliminating it.

I'm putting a built in bookcase against a wall. Neither the house, or the bookcase, were designed for each other. But I have a bookcase that I'm putting up against the wall, cutting crown molding and baseboard to do it and essentially making it look like a built-in. So once I do this, the receptacle will no longer be accessible. It will be behind the bookcase.

I have a small lamp(nightlight) in one end of the bookcase that needs to be plugged in, but doing so will stop me from making the bookcase go completely against the wall. It's a

So that's a lot of backstory for what's probably a simple solution, but it's not so simple for me.

Thanks for your help. -Keith

Thanks for your help nightlight.jpg nightlight2.jpg receptacle.jpg receptacle.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You cannot cover over an electric box of any kind. If this is the last receptacle of the circuit, find the outlet before it and disconnect the wires to this box then, you be ok.

If this feeds another outlet, what is behind this wall? Can a hole be cut into the back of the book case to access the receptacle?

Reach4

Reaction score
With that access hole, perhaps behind a removable drawer, I am picturing mounting a power strip hidden behind the vertical piece at the front.

Keith5523

Reaction score
You cannot cover over an electric box of any kind. If this is the last receptacle of the circuit, find the outlet before it and disconnect the wires to this box then, you be ok.

If this feeds another outlet, what is behind this wall? Can a hole be cut into the back of the book case to access the receptacle?

So to sum it up, there is no way to wire this lamp directly to the wiring used by the receptacle, and completely eliminate the receptacle? Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
So to sum it up, there is no way to wire this lamp directly to the wiring used by the receptacle, and completely eliminate the receptacle? Thanks
The lamp would need to be meant to be hardwired, as is a wall sconce or other permanently mounted fixture. It cannot be hardwired with a cord or cable coming out of the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You CANNOT put "sheetrock" over an outlet, but there is no law that says you cannot put a piece of furniture, which this is, in front of it. There are "flat" plugs that take up very little room when plugged in.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the bookcase is to be permanently mounted to the wall, what I'd consider is cutting the back of the bookcase, using a box extender, and moving the receptacle into the back wall of the bookcase.

Keith5523

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I've been trying to NOT cut that cabinet, but thanks to the input here I'll be cutting the cabinet. -Keith

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks