Hardness leakage at the end of my cycle with new softener question about settings

Users who are viewing this thread

Qutrit

Reaction score
Hello I am experiencing hardness leak at the end of the cycle (when there are about 70 gallons left before reserve) and I was trying to readjust the settings of my Pentair Fleck 5800XTR2 to readjust to avoid this. Since the softener is new, my water doesn't have iron and it's from the city service I don't think the problem is in the softener itself but probably in its configuration.

My problem comes from the following: there are independent settings for hardness level, for capacity, for salt usage and for the times associated with each phase of the regeneration cycle.

Would just lowering the capacity a bit would accomplish what I'm looking for?

I can use any help I can get

Thank you so much in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. Either raise hardness, or lower capacity.

If R is the reserve in gallons, at 2am, the softener will regen if the gallons used is greater than C/H-R.

Bannerman

Reaction score
What is the unit's total capacity? How did you determine the hardness amount to be programmed?

To achieve greater hardness reduction efficiency (salt efficiency), it is recommended to reduce the programmed capacity before regeneration will occur as substantially less salt will be required to regenerate that lower capacity. The capacity and salt reduction is not performed haphazardly, but is to follow specific rules to obtain the desired results.

For example, if your softener contains 1 ft3 of resin, the maximum possible softening capacity will be 32,000 grains before regeneration will be needed. Since 20 lbs salt will be required to regenerate all 32K grains of capacity, the hardness reduction efficiency will be only 32,000 / 20 = 1,600 grains per lb.

By programming the Capacity setting to 24,000 grains, then only 8 lbs salt will be required each cycle, thereby increasing the hardness reduction efficiency to 24,000 / 8 lbs = 3,000 grains per lb.

Qutrit

Reaction score
The hardness programmed was determined by the city prescription for my neighbourhood. I got to measure it using strips and got a colour compatible with the number they gave so I trust that number

it is a 1 ft3 resin unit. This particular softener controller allows you to input independently capacity, hardness, salt usage and the different cycle times. I was assuming that just lowering the capacity would reduce the gallon count at which it will regenerate again. I don't get hardness leakage until I am about 50-60 G (I guess plus whatever is keeping as reserve) from another regeneration cycle, so basically the last day/couple of days before regeneration.

So if I change the capacity setting and leave all the other settings the same I assume I will just get a regeneration cycle earlier enough to prevent the leakage. Do you think I'm right?

Last edited:

Qutrit

Reaction score
What is the unit's total capacity? How did you determine the hardness amount to be programmed?

To achieve greater hardness reduction efficiency (salt efficiency), it is recommended to reduce the programmed capacity before regeneration will occur as substantially less salt will be required to regenerate that lower capacity. The capacity and salt reduction is not performed haphazardly, but is to follow specific rules to obtain the desired results.

For example, if your softener contains 1 ft3 of resin, the maximum possible softening capacity will be 32,000 grains before regeneration will be needed. Since 20 lbs salt will be required to regenerate all 32K grains of capacity, the hardness reduction efficiency will be only 32,000 / 20 = 1,600 grains per lb.

By programming the Capacity setting to 24,000 grains, then only 8 lbs salt will be required each cycle, thereby increasing the hardness reduction efficiency to 24,000 / 8 lbs = 3,000 grains per lb.
Sorry I forgot to hit reply. my previous post is the reply to yours! :) Thanks friend

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks