Hardly flushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

RokinRandy

Reaction score
Hello plumbers.

This one has me scratching my head. Have a toilet in a hospital hardly getting a flush. Has a one inch water line from a 2 inch. Big hospital. Have to flush several times to get it down. Ran a snake through it. But it seems like a water pressure issue. Rebuilt the flushometer. Hmm. Everything else around here is fine. But there’s a few toilets around here that behave this way. As if it’s not getting the volume.

Well could be an engineering issue. But still this has to be fixed. Building has 2 points of entry which is also weird. At both points it is 63 psi of pressure That is plenty of pressure.

So I wonder what can be done to improve the flush ?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you could temporarily tee off to a pressure gauge in that supply line near the toilet, it could tell the story. You would need to watch the gauge during a flush.

If for some reason, there is a lot of pressure drop during the flush, you could work around that. I think you could tee off nearby to maybe a 10 gallon pressure tank. WX-104 is 15 inch diameter and 18 inch tall. 1 inch FIP connection. I think adding a check valve before that would be good. We could discuss that.

So it takes space you may not have available. This would only be if you cannot provide a proper flow due to a piping issue that you cannot overcome.

When there is 0 gpm flow, there is no pressure drop, even thru 1/4 inch pipe (assuming constant altitude). Add some gpm, and there is significant dynamic pressure drop.

So maybe if this is a recurring thing, you could make a test fixture with a pressure gauge. Maybe also have a pressure tank. This would let you identify if the problem is the toilet or piping.

Anyway, when you flush, there would be about 2.5 gallons of water at a high gpm available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks