Hardie 18 Zone Controller "Short" in LED

Users who are viewing this thread

SBerg

Reaction score
Hello Irrigation Experts :)

So after resolving an issue from 2 years ago using a product called "Add a Zone" where the non-working zone is repaired using power from a 2nd working zone (not simultaneous, but alternating... a switch of sorts), I had to add another this season when a different zone/valve box stopped working (see https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/one-valve-in-zone-not-opening.61555/).

Anyway, today I came home to find "Short" displayed on the LED. The "short" indicator cycles through each zone, one after the other for all 18 zones.

I unplugged the controller (circa 1992-1993), removed/tested/replaced the backup battery; it was nearly dead. Didn't help... It still displays "short" when plugged in or unplugged on battery power, if that means anything. Maybe I need to follow specific instructions to reset? I did not see anything in the "current" manual other than to 'turn dial to Run, Manual-Single Station or Manual-Program Cycle and press "off" button.'

A little background... seemingly unrelated. 2-3 days ago while working on a landscape project, one of the water lines was pulled from a "T" connector. No electrical was involved... The zone worked fine AFTER the line was reattached and presumably the controller was running fine until today. I'm not absolutely certain whether it was yesterday or today when the "short" first posted, but I know it was working after the broken line was reattached.

Any thoughts or instructions to determine the cause would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SBerg

SBerg

Reaction score
A little more info... It appears that the Zone #1 valve is not getting power. I tested with multimeter both in controller and at valve and hand didn't move at all, yet the other 5 valves in box were at about 28.

Firstly is this proof of a bad solenoid? And next is do these older valves function like an old fashioned chain of Christmas lights in that if one goes out the rest don't work (new ones don't work that way)? Hence the Controller cycling error "short" for all zones.

Thanks,
SBerg

Deurgo

Reaction score
Hi Sberg - how hard would it be to swap or change that solenoid over? I'm interested to see if what you thought might be the issue is in fact what is causing the controller to malfunction? If there's no power in or running to that solenoid valve then perhaps that's where the problem lies. Either within the cable or the solenoid itself - perhaps even the cable joiners you've used to connect that coil to your solenoid cable? If moisture has gotten into that cable joint then you may find that it will be shorting out inside that joiner. is it a multicore wire you're running? if so do you have a spare wire that isn't currently being used? Wondering if you could try and use that if the swapping of the solenoid doesn't fix your problem.

interested to see how you go!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks