Hard to remove filter cannister... leaks?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mikdoo, Jun 14, 2019 at 8:35 AM.

1. mikdoo

mikdoo New Member

I put the cannister back on my whole house water filter on handtight. I use some silicon grease on both the threads and the o-ring. Yet it takes a bit force each time I have to remove it to replace the filter. Enough force where I can see the copper pipes shifts.

Theres a threaded union close by as well as threaded valve and solder joints.

Im worried that the force of removal could cause a leak at these joints. This setup has been in place for a few years without any leaks.

How likely is a leak to occur at these joints?

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You might post a picture. Your filter housing is held up by a pipes only? Maybe you could add some support to the pipes.

I think most people use a special wrench to turn the sump for removal. That could free up a hand to hold a pipe as you turn.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. mikdoo

mikdoo New Member

Thanks I took your advice for added support. Even though it appeared to be adequately supported like any other normal installation, this afternoon I secured it with a split ring hanger and a threaded rod and in another spot with a hanger. Hopefully that will do it... certainly overkill now.

In general, do these filter heads leak after repeated removal of the cannister? I got copper male adapter in one side of the plastic head and a brass nipple in the other. I used tape on both since I was afraid to dope up the plastic.

I would ask what else I could do to make it easier to remove but I doubt there is much else I can do. Im already using silicon and only going handtight... and I am not Popeye either.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Some dope is OK for plastics.

The O-rings get replaced, but usually that is when the rubber has expanded lengthwise, and you cannot get the ring back in the groove. If you don't have a replacement o-ring and if you don't have a bypass, you have to go without water for a while.

What size is your sump (the part that you unscrew), and/or what is the replacement cartridge?

6. mikdoo

mikdoo New Member

Its one of those basic 20" blue sumps... i think pentec. I do keep plenty of o-rings on hand but I have only changed it once in 6 years! The first o-ring went 5 years then it couldnt get it to seal.

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

8. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

The proper way to unscrew the filter housing is with 2 large wrenches going in counter direction to each other. This way your pipes will be protected and won't twist.

To avoid a leak when installing a new cartridge, use the 2 wrench method to tighten, hand tight is not tight enough.

If you have a spare O ring, store it in a zip bag tightly zipped.