Happy Thanksgiving

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Wow, Ian, I can't speak for all retired vets, and you knew I would chime in on this one, right? But, my dear ole' dad who served in the big one, lost his hearing, and as he would put it, some other things, only got still at the time of his death in 1992, a whooping $55.00 a month in army disability/pay. That was it. He was a brillant man who because of PTSD, had a hard time working, although he did, and I was supporting my dad when I was graduated just from high school. I was buying food at age 15 for my family. I have always, and probably will always be accountable for everything not only in my life but in others' as well. I don't know if you grew up with a dad with PTSD, but it wasn't fun. His nightmares in the middle of the night became mine. I never knew how to help him. In his nightmares, he would be yelling about guns being pointed at him. Over and over. My dad, in the big one, was a hero, which he always was to me anyway in life, he was a nice man, but it was hard to understand his fears. I would hold my dad and pat his back. Therefore, I kind of developed this routine, I held and my patted my sons backs growing up, and then, my husband's but, when I started to so-call date again, and patted my dates... well, it didn't go over well. lol. I am very motherly, lol. He never called again, lol. :) that is okay. He was weird anyway.

Those retired vets, those vets in general, without them, without them serving and laying their lives on the line like they do, we would be unprotected here at home. I give them my thanks. And, if my taxes are higher because of it, so be it, they deserve it.

My 2 cents worth, on behalf of my dad, who taught me everything I know, including electronics, and raised me to be a girl in a man's world and hold my own. I owe him everything. So does the many mens lives he saved that day in Anzio.

For this he got $55.00 a month. I don't know what cars you are thinking of, but he drove a small truck, which didn't have a radio or heat.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
He was clearly a very good man Cookie.

All the vets I see nowadays seem to get a free college education, home loan guarantees, great (free) healthcare and drive around in Ford Harley Davidson F150s.

Something must have changed. I wonder if it's the Democratic Party giving handouts?

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I owe much more than I have in the Bank. So bring it on.

If the value of the dollar goes down, then so does my debt.

And house prices would go up too.

I would not want to be a saver right now though. And the last thing you want to be in is gold. When that bubble goes, there will be another mess.
I figured that. So when the crash comes you won't have a house or be able to buy one, and you'll be broke too.

You'll just have the clothes on you and in a bag tied to the end of a stick that you can throw over your shoulder as you plod along to the local urban overcrowded homeless shelter.

You can't spend gold, so don't put any money in gold. Spend what ya got now to buy a ton of rubber bands (rope is better), or beans, toilet paper, water bottles (you can scoff them out of your urban dumpsters now for nothing) so you have something people need so you can barter/trade them for meager amounts of food and water.

If you really could plumb and weren't waving the union jack constantly I'd think of saving you from shelters and soup lines. We are going to hide'n thrive in Texas. I'm thinking if I have to go to my backup plan, plan B, it will be to catch a couple of Jose's north bound boys with the 60 lb packs of 'weed' and we could package it individually'n sell it. You could be my mule to get it into the great progressive democrat band members in Austin and San Antonio to trade for their electronic toys; iPhones, iPads, laptops, a couple guitars. A few brass instruments too so we can sound Hispanic after dark around the campfire. That would help with us acquiring the raw materials for our business. Along with boots, guns, belts, new jeans, shirts, jackets and fake IDs to barter with. And black backpacks for you to take things to/from town in.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
when the crash comes

Wake up call. It has happened!

And none of the rest will happen. Way before that point is reached, the poor and disillusioned will revolt, steal from the rich and balance will be restored.

We either do it the easy way, through taxes and bigger Government, or the hard way.

End the Bush tax cuts for the rich.

Funny how the only people kicking up a stink about it are the rich. I don't hear anyone earning below 250k raising an eyebrow.

But if we do return to a barter economy, I've got a great pump you might be interested in.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I donate my time and have been for many years to the Vet Hospital, and I see many people like my dad. That is why I do it. I couldn't help him, so maybe, I can others. I have been working on a book, called, Shell-Shocked, so, if anyone here wants to contribute I would love to read and listen.

My own nephew joined and is coming home in 2 weeks, he is in basics. He saw a plane with a lot of coffins coming off and he was heading over there, to Afraghanstan (sp) for 2 years, he knew of. He was told he would have a 50% chance of coming home not unlike, what he saw. So, not knowing how this works but while in basics one can change their mind, and he decided he didn't want the military. He is going back to being a mechanic, which I am glad. He already got his education, $50,000 worth before he joined. He just always wanted the military. I am glad he changed his mind. Plus, I need tie-rods. :)

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
My dad had the GI Bill for home buying, but he never bought a house. But, it isn't the ownership on paper which makes a house a home. Now, as an RE agent, those vets gets tons of help whenever I can. My husband was Air Force, and we used his when we bought our first house, no money down and a much lower interest rate. Now, so far as education, he paid his way. As I did, too. My dad would not even sign the papers for me to get a grant. lol. You pay your way. I did. My sons both got grants and what they couldn't get as grants we got as loans. They pay monthly. The way it should be, they or both of us, paying for their educations.

I had a very good dad, he was very funny. People never realized he wasn't pretending he couldn't hear and he got the biggest laugh out of it, when they thought he was rude. I would tell him what they said, lol.

He was clearly a very good man Cookie.

All the vets I see nowadays seem to get a free college education, home loan guarantees, great (free) healthcare and drive around in Ford Harley Davidson F150s.

Something must have changed. I wonder if it's the Democratic Party giving handouts?

Cookie

Reaction score
For all you people who wake up each morning and so far are pretty healthy,not having to fight something fatal, do not take this day for granted.

For all you people who have a mom to call, or a dad to visit, do not take this day for granted.

For those of you, whose spouse is sitting next to you, or within an arm's reach, do not take this day for granted.

Give thanks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm thankful that finally an increasing number of Americans are starting to understand our present political/economic situation and doing something about it. It gives me a bit of hope that I may be wrong but I'm afraid it's too little too late and many of us won't survive what I think is coming.

It's too bad because they are the dumbest ones....

A good many of us saw this train wreck in the making start over 40 years ago....

And now we look at these newly informed sheeple lined up waiting for words of wisdom from the likes of Glenn Beck & Sarah Phailin...

Oh boy! That should finish the process of this nosedive into the ground....

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Wake up call. It has happened!

And none of the rest will happen. Way before that point is reached, the poor and disillusioned will revolt, steal from the rich and balance will be restored.
What I think I see coming has never happened on the scale I see. Yes, the unions will strike and riots will break out, that will be the beginning of the end and the only way the government will 'balance' things will be with a dictator and a bunch of guns.

But if we do return to a barter economy, I've got a great pump you might be interested in.
My solar system is large enough but I wouldn't run a regular household size pump on it. I can only store 100 gals of fresh water anyway. I have a 12vdc pump for that. I'll be gathering water in small containers and then transferring it to containers that will allow me to boil it in quickly. Most of us will have to do that if I'm right, yet many or most won't be able to. I'm looking at a "solar furnace" to do that with. It can melt soft drawn copper tube in like 30 seconds. It's a bit larger than I need or can use so I'll have to downsize it considerably. I'd like to cook on it in cast iron equipment.

Other than the pump, what else have you done to get prepared?

Do you have a good pemmican recipe?

Redwood, how about you, you should be totally prepared to be totally off grid'n self sufficient, any hints?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Gary. You're going a little OTT on this one.

None of that stuff will happen. If it were to, it would be the end of the world and I'm not sure I'd want to live in it. Way before we reach your point the US military would be robbing and stealing from other countries to feed citizens at home.

Then martial law and rationing (yes, even with your "freedom"). And if that failed it would be all out anarchy.

If that happens, fresh food and water should not be your concern. Your concern should be the very real fact that me and some mates could break your door down and steal it from you.

The nuclear option will be extended well before we start living in the horror world you are so busily preparing for.

This is America, after all. And while it pains me (an Englishman) to say it, if it goes to pot here, it goes to pot everywhere.

Personal responsibility is BS. But it is a good way of lining the pockets of stores that feed off of your fear. But the Government will be along way before then.

Keep a couple of tins of tuna for the odd day you might lose power. Not crates for the end of society. That will never be allowed to come.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Gary. You're going a little OTT on this one.

None of that stuff will happen. If it were to, it would be the end of the world and I'm not sure I'd want to live in it.

Then martial law and rationing (yes, even with your "freedom"). And if that failed it would be all out anarchy.

If that happens, fresh food and water should not be your concern. Your concern should be the very real fact that me and some mates could break your door down and steal it from you.

This is America, after all. And while it pains me (an Englishman) to say it, if it goes to pot here, it goes to pot everywhere.

Personal responsibility is BS. But it is a good way of lining the pockets of stores that feed off of your fear. But the Government will be along way before then.

Keep a couple of tins of tuna for the odd day you might lose power. Not crates for the end of society. That will never be allowed to come.
I hope I am OTT.

I can survive that and frankly it would be fun to learn how to survive some even if its not needed. I'm not selling softenrs any more, just sitting around typing this stuff and visiting parking lots; eating ice cream 'n burgers!

I and my wife don't want to live in the world we see coming either.

We didn't see this until the last year or so and I always laughed at the idiot 'survivalists' living out in the woods but, when we start monetizing our debt, and doing nothing to prevent the monetary and economic failure I think I see coming except to print more money to be able to spend more, what else is there but a 3rd world economy?

What do you see the government doing to prevent it?

I see a number of things the government has done recently that can only lead to the failure. And it may not start here, it may start in Europe and move to the far east, frankly Europe is well into the start now; the EU is in financial and economic crisis with rioting in the streets right now.

A couple cans of tuna ain't gunna git'r done, even IF the government steps in and I'll be damned if we are moving into as city environment to stand in soup kitchen lines.

We have decided that we can not be totally or even close to secure so if you'n others show up to take our stuff. So we will give up some but not all of it. And you'll have to find us first and that won't be easy. I suspect you and the mates being urban puke kinda guys, or at least not comfy in a down home country sitting out in the woods at night, will have to overcome some fears before venturing out to where we are. So we plan that you aren't going to get it all of our stuff and we will trade what we have selected to trade and get more ASAP out of our caches we have around our area of influence. That area would be at least the distance a 223 can reach out to touch someone or thing.

We are going to start our sourdough starter soon. Maybe Amish friendship bread starter too. And learn how to make flat bread and build a solar oven and a small smoker for fish and meats. I'm getting a manual meat grinder to make pemmican with. And I'm building a 12 vdc solar tracker now for1-2 of my solar panels.

If I'm prepared and don't need it, maybe I can become one of those stores you mention?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Redwood, how about you, you should be totally prepared to be totally off grid'n self sufficient, any hints?

Plenty of guns, ammo and fishing equipment is a good start.

Food can be had with any of those tools and I predict the have nots getting a little testy...

After years of claiming it was nothing but a crack pot conspiracy theory our government has finally published "The Plan" read it at the link below and weep.

http://www.foia.cia.gov/2025/2025_Global_Governance.pdf

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
A mob with hammers and spades can overcome one man and his wife with a gun.

So I suggest hiding. Or they'll come at you with gas-powered lawn mowers.

Monetizing debt does not necessarily spell disaster. It does signal a weaker dollar but not necessarily a worthless one, despite what Fox news tells you. And a weaker dollar could do much to boost the economy.

It increases the value of my house, for starters. But most importantly, it makes American exports more competitive abroad. Heck, I might even be able to afford one of Terry's Totos if I buy it in pounds a year or so from now.

It all depends on how the process is managed. And I predict it will be managed well. America is too big to fail. Too stupid to fail as well.

Should have kept the King.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Plenty of guns, ammo and fishing equipment is a good start.

Food can be had with any of those tools and I predict the have nots getting a little testy...
I don't think anyone can store enough food and water. If we go into the depression I think is coming, the population today can not survive as it did in the 1930s. And with monetizing our debt, we will end up with worthless dollars and super inflation with a daily increase in inflation. You can't plan your way out of that. And everywhere monetizing has been done, albeit very rarely, it has failed. The longer we go without accepting the fact that as a natin we are broke, the deeper and longer a depression will be. And if I'm right Washington is pushing us into it because any there want it to happen.

I have the boat hanging on the side of the motor home. I found 4200 rounds of .22 long today for $145.

There's a lot of people that haven't a clue about what is going on and they should read the stuff at your link. I like #2 but think it will happen long before 2025. Maybe in the next 18-24 months if not sooner. And I sure hope I'm wrong.

jane4566

Reaction score
@ Cookie: This was a very thoughtful thread to start. Even though I'm a few days late, here's a few things I'm thankful for:

- a brand new job that practically fell into my lap less than a month ago (left my old job after 4.5 years)
- a boyfriend who's on the same page (i.e. we're both okay with taking it slow and developing the relationship over time)
- my mom, dad, and dog (whose name is, coincidentally, Cookie)

Cookie

Reaction score
Ah, Jane, I am sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I stopped reading this thread because of the junk. I am glad for you that you got a new job and isn't it really really nice when it just falls into place, and falls into your lap? I love that. You are one up on me with the boyfriend. I date but then, I just can't get interested in them. They are just not the right ones, and I guess, I am looking for Mr. Right and I am very picky. Cookie is a great name for anything, even your pet. Happy new year to you Jane.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks