Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Celebrating the first Thanksgiving,

“And God be praised we had a good increase… Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, amongst other recreations, we exercised our arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed on our governor, and upon the captain and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty.”

Edward Winslow, Mourt’s Relation: D.B. Heath, ed. Applewood Books. Cambridge, 1986. p 82

“They began now to gather in the small harvest they had, and to fit up their houses and dwellings against winter, being all well recovered in health and strength and had all things in good plenty. For as some were thus employed in affairs abroad, others were exercised in fishing, about cod and bass and other fish of which they took good store, of which every family had their portion. All the summer there was no want; and now began to come in store of fowl, as winter approached, of which is place did abound when they came first (but afterward decreased by degrees). And besides waterfowl there was great store of wild turkeys, of which they took many, besides venison, etc. Besides, they had about a peck a meal a week to a person, or now since harvest, Indian corn to that proportion. Which made many afterwards write so largely of their plenty here to their friends in England, which were not feigned but true reports.

William Bradford, Of Plymouth Plantation: S.E. Morison, ed. Knopf. N.Y., 1952. p 90

By early 1621, the Pilgrims had built crude huts and a common house on the shores of Plymouth Bay. Soon neighboring Indians began to build relations with the Pilgrims. SQUANTO, a local Indian who had been kidnapped and taken to England nearly a decade before, served as an interpreter with the local tribes. Squanto taught the Pilgrims to fertilize the soil with dried fish remains to produce a stellar corn crop.

MASSASOIT, the chief of the nearby Wampanoags, signed a treaty of alliance with the Pilgrims in the summer. In exchange for assistance with defense against the feared Narragansett tribe, Massasoit supplemented the food supply of the Pilgrims for the first few years.

The first direct contact with a Native American was made in March 1621, and soon after, Chief Massasoit paid a visit to the settlement. After an exchange of greetings and gifts, the two peoples signed a peace treaty that lasted for more than 50 years.

• TERMS OF THE TREATY

Following the introductory ceremonies, Carver and Massasoit Ousamequin agreed upon the terms of a peace treaty between the Pilgrims and the Pokanokets. The treaty of mutual support they negotiated said in part:

1. That he nor any of his should do hurt to any of their people.

2. That if any of his did hurt any of theirs, he should send the offender, that they might punish him.

3. That if anything were taken away from any of theirs, he should cause it to be restored; and they should do the like to his.

4. If any did unjustly war against him, they would aid him; if any did war against them, he should aid them.

5. He should send to his neighbors confederates to certify them of this, that they might not wrong them, but might be likewise compromised in the conditions of peace.

6. That when their men came to them, they should leave their bows and arrows behind them.

7. That King James would esteem Massasoit (Ousamequin) as his friend and ally.
Like many others, I had family at the first Thanksgiving.
Priscilla Mullins and John Alden.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's that time again, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Mine will be over several days, some of the family with young kids are dealing with the flu. Last month I got out of the hospital for my things with colorectal cancer , seven weeks there, losing about thirty pounds I'm looking to get back. Most of that was the plumbing muscles I use to lift one-piece toilets up and down stairs. Not doing that for a while. The last time I had dealt with that was 2009-2011.
I'm spending more time think of other projects around the home I have had time for, depending on my energy levels.
My kids have been great driving me to doctor appointments, and making sure I have someone to hang out with so I don't become a hermit. I figure pretty soon I will be out driving around though catching up with old friends too. I'm babysitting a cat this weekend, so that is nice. My son Taylor came over last night with his dog, making sure things are okay after the Wednesday surgery for stints. I certainly felt fine, but it was insurance. The doctor that replaced mine, calls himself a plumber. "Its just plumbing Terry." Dr. May

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's that time again, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. .............. making sure things are okay after the Wednesday surgery for stints. I certainly felt fine, but it was insurance. The doctor that replaced mine, calls himself a plumber. "Its just plumbing Terry." Dr. May
Wow! Quite a year for you. Wish you well.

I had stints put in January 2002 and by May 2004 had a fifth one done. OK until three years ago, four more and I had no angina as in the past. I now have four stints in one location for a total of nine. Just had tests and all is good. It sure makes you wonder how fortunate we are. Just before the wife and I were engage, my father-in-law had a heart attack, Feb 1973. After a few days of rest in the hospital, they sent you home with a bottle of Nitroglycerin.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wow! Quite a year for you. Wish you well.

I had stints put in January 2002 and by May 2004 had a fifth one done. OK until three years ago, four more and I had no angina as in the past. I now have four stints in one location for a total of nine. Just had tests and all is good. It sure makes you wonder how fortunate we are. Just before the wife and I were engage, my father-in-law had a heart attack, Feb 1973. After a few days of rest in the hospital, they sent you home with a bottle of Nitroglycerin.
Mine were urinary stints to help with the bladder. The heart has been fine. Sucks getting older though. At least we have lots of medical options that weren't available in earlier years.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
50 years ago us guys would talk about girls and cars, now 73, we talk about aliments, pain, doctors, medication and who had an operation.

Credit to https://www.elderoptionsoftexas.com/jokes.htm
1669420811655.png
1669420832025.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks