Hansgrohe iBox Universal

Users who are viewing this thread

Kestrel

Reaction score
My basement remodel continues....

I got great advise here about my DWV system, and it's working great. I'm now roughing in the bathroom, and I'm trying to decide on a shower system. I'm leaning toward the Hansgrohe - a thermostatic valve with integral diverter to control a showerhead and a handshower. So far, so good.

Thing is, their universal rough in box is for 3/4 and I had plumbed 1/2 over to the shower, off of a 3/4 line. Is there any problem running the 1/2 to near the rough in, and then soldering on a 1/2-3/4 adaptor, and running 3/4 the rest of the short way to the valve. (and then 3/4 from the valve to the showerhead and the handshower?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can run 1/2" to the I-Box or 3/4"
It's made to work many different ways. The iBox below has 3/4" in which can bush down to 1/2"

ibox_1.jpg

1 front
ibox_2.jpg

2 top
ibox_3.jpg

3 side
ibox_4.jpg

4 back

Last edited:

Killer95Stang

Reaction score
I'm using the iBox in my current bathroom remodel. The iBox unit itself comes with three brass 3/4" x 1/2" bushings inside the package. Just buy one extra if you plan on using 1/2" for all your piping.

spaces_hg_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HGTech

HansGrohe
Reaction score
Website
www.hansgrohe-usa.com
Besides the 3/4" by 1/2" bushing you can use a 3/4" by 1/2" copper male adaptor with the I-Box. Just sweat it up and cool before you thread it in. In you installation it sounds like you will be using a shower head and hand shower. In this case you will only be trying for 5 GPM. Either case the thermostatic trim with volume control and diverter will do 8 GPM max. 1/2" pipe will be adequate for this. I would stay with 1/2" pipe from the I-Box to the shower heads. This is because the 3/4" pipe will store more water when not in use and take a few seconds longer to purge out when warming up the shower. Feel free to call me at Hansgrohe 1-800-334-0455 press 2 for tech and ask for David.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote: Just buy one extra if you plan on using 1/2" for all your piping.

You would only use the fourth opening if you use the trim with the integral diverter. You cannot use a diverter spout with the I-Box. It comes with the 3/4x1/2 brass bushings.

chihashu

Reaction score
Besides the 3/4" by 1/2" bushing you can use a 3/4" by 1/2" copper male adaptor with the I-Box. Just sweat it up and cool before you thread it in. In you installation it sounds like you will be using a shower head and hand shower. In this case you will only be trying for 5 GPM. Either case the thermostatic trim with volume control and diverter will do 8 GPM max. 1/2" pipe will be adequate for this. I would stay with 1/2" pipe from the I-Box to the shower heads. This is because the 3/4" pipe will store more water when not in use and take a few seconds longer to purge out when warming up the shower. Feel free to call me at Hansgrohe 1-800-334-0455 press 2 for tech and ask for David.

I read that the 3/4 x 1/2 bushings are no longer included when you buy the ibox. Can anyone confirm, if so then what is the part # and where can I corder? Thanks

Conan the plumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've got a question about installing the iBox universal. You can't solder within 4 inches of the rough valve. So how about using sharkbites for all the connections to the valve? Anyone have an opinion on how permanent those connections are?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks