Hansgrohe iBox installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Hi all,
I've installed an iBox in a bathroom renovation here at home, but no matter how many times I look at videos or read the instructions I do NOT understand the function of the 'fixing ring'.

Is it suppose to support the wall board around the hole cut-out? It seems the concrete board + thinset & tile should be plenty rigid for support, but I'm here to learn from others experience!

I mounted the iBox on a 3/4" plywood board after installing the 3/4" to 1/2" bushings for the Sharkbite pex fittings, but I did not consider how 'deep' to install it in the wall. I just made sure the min/max indication strip was where it needed to be. By the way: The old studs were very, very warped so I sistered them with 1x that I plumbed to flatten the walls. Basically it extended the stud faces +/- 3/4".

IMG_0330D.JPG

I certainly can move it forward so that the fixing ring is engaged in one of its 'locked' positions, but is it even needed?

Any real-life experience comments would be appreciated. It's been well over 10 years since I did my hall bathroom with old-school Hansgrohe stuff with no iBox, and although the new system is well thought out, the instructions are a little vague on certain details.

I also had a big surprise when doing the first 'flushing' of the system. The instructions make a big deal about the hot water going to the bottom outlet, and the cold going to the top. I believed them without looking at the arrows.......

Thank you for any help you can supply!

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Huntington Station, NY

hansgrohe-ibox-pic.jpg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That black ring is not needed unless you're sandwiching the box. If you have it mounted to your studs via that plywood and your min/max are taking your tile build up and your warped studs into consideration then you should be good.

I also had a big surprise when doing the first 'flushing' of the system. The instructions make a big deal about the hot water going to the bottom outlet, and the cold going to the top. I believed them without looking at the arrows.......

Was there a question you had regarding this? You definately want your hot and cold oriented properly. Some of their cartridges can be flipped if hot and cold are on the wrong side, but some can not be changed.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
That black ring is not needed unless you're sandwiching the box. If you have it mounted to your studs via that plywood and your min/max are taking your tile build up and your warped studs into consideration then you should be good.

Was there a question you had regarding this? You definately want your hot and cold oriented properly. Some of their cartridges can be flipped if hot and cold are on the wrong side, but some can not be changed.

Regarding the flushing of the system: I received a reply from Hansgrohe the next day, and they said:

"Hello,
I’m sorry for the issue.
Are you 100 percent certain the hot water line is coming into the left inlet of the ibox?
If so, then possible human error on the install of the flushing insert."

I replied with the picture you see in my first post.......

Anyway.....I loosened the screws on the iBox and handheld outlet, shimmed the iBox out with the fixing ring locked in place, and tightened the screws again. I'm actually glad I did because in checking it in many directions with a straightedge it was not square to the wall. Of course when it's all trimmed back to the finished wall it wouldn't really be obvious, but hey: Fussy is good.

I'm almost ready to start tiling now:

IMG_0337D.JPG
IMG_0339D.JPG

By the way: Does anyone know who carries the Hansgrohe 'Sealing foil'? It's the gasket that is thin-setted over to, supposedly, stop water from infiltrating around the iBox? It used to be included with the iBox, but no more.

Thank you both for the replies!

Howard Emerson

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every mistake compounds as you progress through a project so it best to fix something slightly out of plumb now.

I've never seen anyone use those pieces. We always left the fixing ring and the mesh on the valve for tile to use, but I'm sure they were always thrown away. Probably why its not included now, like the reducing fittings that used to come with every valve too. I always trim the plastic flush with the tile and silicone around the opening like Terry mentions. But it couldn't hurt to have that in place if you can find some. No clue where tho.. I wonder if Hansgrohe sells them as an option now?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks