Hansgrohe Ecostat S/E shower valve : antiscalding wrongly set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Erik1776

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My contractor finally "finished" the install of our new Hansgrohe universal ibox and Ecostat s/e thermostatic shower valve trim with 2 functions diverter (and the 100F marker at 9pm on the trim).
This one

Through this process, it has become very clear no one on his crew has any clue about installing this product so I come to you for advice.

The diverter works, the shower finally works and we get cold,warm and hot water. That is great. However, I would like to check the following:

1. iIs the temperature handle supposed to sit at 6pm for the coldest setting? Right now, they have it where it starts at 6pm for cold water (can't go further left) and the max hot water is at 1-2pm. Based on the design, I was thinking it would go from 9pm (cold) to 3pm (hot) and usually sit at 6pm for warm water.

2. When using the handle, if it is at 6pm, I have to press the antiscalding button to go past 6pm to turn it and get any warm/hot water and can go all the way to the max with no stops. I know that is not how it works but I am wondering what they did to mess it up.

Is it simply a question or readjusting the handle, does it mean they never bothered to set the temp for antiscalding, or something else?

I am checking tomorrow if they ended up using the original out of the box valve cartridge or a different one as I hear it could make a difference. But any input would be helpful here to see where to start.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I couldn't follow your link and I couldn't find the shower based on a G search for Ecostat s/e but the shower is supposed to be set so that the 100° mark has 100° water coming from it. The shower valve cartridge does the rest. You get a Little bit more hot water after you depress the button to allow the handle to go past that 100 mark.

The trim kit would have had the cartridge with it, so not likely they would have swapped that out.

Not sure if that answers your concern tho.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://www.hansgrohe.com/articlede...ncealed-installation-for-2-functions-15758000

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/hansgrohe-ibox-installation.90905/

There is a lot to read up on those.

puravida-15771001-install-01.jpg

escostat-temperature-01.jpg

ecostat-temperature-02.jpg

ecostat-temperature-03.jpg

puravida-15771001-install-04.jpg

Last edited:

Erik1776

Reaction score
Thanks!, yeah I reviewed the instruction manual in detail but the last couple steps were not super clear. Here is another product link, as the product seems to be recently discontinued: https://www.amazon.com/Hansgrohe-04352000-Thermostatic-Control-Chrome/dp/B006P7IG5I/ref=sr_1_27?dchild=1&keywords=hansgrohe+ecostat+s/e+thermostatic&qid=1624500969&s=hi&sr=1-27
Essentially, outside of the trim handle design, it is seems to be the past version of this one: https://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/artic...m-s-with-volume-control-and-diverter-04231000

ecostat-04352000.jpg

As far as the cartridge, while the plumbing was, as I guessed, installed incorrectly with the cold on the wrong side, the crew thought my cartrtidge was bad and went to get another one, potentially slightly different. Which is why I need to check what they ended up installing, after redoing the whole plumbing set up... Nothing is simple :) I mentioned this because after reviewing the "pie thread" :) I thought it may be needed context.

With this design and the 100F on the left side of the trim at 9pm, I am confused as to how it should be set up and what the 100F is for. I understand it for every other ones, and I have used many of these in Europe without issues, but this specific trim just confuses me and the install job i got does not help...Neither does Hansgrohe's instructions. I plan to call them friday if I can but the contractor is coming tomorrow, it would be nice if I can identify potentially issues or fixes.

Page 16 of the instruction, leads me to believe I am correct in what the set up should be, although design wise it sounds quite silly to have the cold where the 100F icon is... https://assets.hansgrohe.com/mam/celum/celum_assets/16__hruh0825_pdf.pdf
I am hoping all is needed is to do the page 12 instructions, justify the handle with the thermometer?
although I have watched videos before showing this is a bit harder than shown and requires removing a screw on the valve and popping out something with a plyer to adjust the temp. Not something I am looking to dyi...

ecostat-temperature-05.jpg
ecostat-temperature-04.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
To answer your question:
The lever pointing straight down is to be at 100 degrees. That means the button will align at that 100 deg. mark.
Then when you press the button, it allows you to go higher.
It won't work if your hot and cold are reversed.
I have to say: Hansgrohe tiny grey rubber trim plug is the stupidist piece of junk you'll find in the world of "trim".

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We had a condo where the hot and cold were reversed for the 2 shower valves before we started work. Nobody checked the orientation and I learned that the HG cartridges with volume or diverters can not be reversed.. So HG printed the cover plates upside down and we flipped the cartridge over. The little Drain hole in the face plate was on the Top..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks