Moen Handle Replacement options

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I would like to replace my shower/tub handle. It's a standard single Moen handle, it pulls to turn on the water, left/right -- hot/cold and pull stem on the spout to turn on the shower. I would like a lever handle if possible. What are my options? I've attached pics.

shower -- tub.jpg
shower knob.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You do not have a lot of options, but there may be some. Moen used to have a lever handle option available for that Legend series valve. I don't know if they still make it., but an aftermarket company may. Take your handle and escutcheon plate into a large pluming store ( NOT a home store). They should be able to help.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
It's funny i switched my Moen handle to lever from Moen's trim kit and the weight of the lever actually turned the valve back to the center.
I think because the handle was so heavy and the cartridge is that plastic piece of &*^!.
So be careful unless your like the temperature of the water at the center.

Last edited:

Jerome8283

Reaction score
It's funny i switched my Moen handle to lever from Moen's trim kit and the weight of the lever actually turned the valve back to the center.
I think because the handle was so heavy and the cartridge is that plastic piece of &*^!.
So be careful unless your like the temperature of the water at the center.

Which trim kit?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Go to this link and plug in the info in the pull down menus to see what trim parts are available there are...
There are 9 with levers and 10 with knobs for you to select from.

Click here for Moen replacement parts.

The problem peanut mentions is a possibility with the levers and a new (loose) cartridge.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Go to this link and plug in the info in the pull down menus to see what trim parts are available there are...
There are 9 with levers and 10 with knobs for you to select from.

Click here for Moen replacement parts.

The problem peanut mentions is a possibility with the levers and a new (loose) cartridge.

I went there earlier but what's not clear to me is do those kits at that link require that I replace the cartridge or any of the plumbing?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No the basic valve is the same.

You just need to find your valve and the associated part numbers for the trim and knob then compare to what you want to have and install the differing parts.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The devil is in the details. I think your Legend has the escutcheon screws at 5 and 7 oclock. I dont think they have any trim for that. The Legend Moentrol has screws at 2 and 7.

All the valves on the website labeled as "PosiTemp" : NONE of those parts will fit your valve at all.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the questions with the pulldown menus at that link are correctly answered only the proper valves will show up. The exception being the answer for "does your faucet have a knob or lever?" That you would have to answer lever to see what you want.

shaolin_dragon

Reaction score
The devil is in the details. I think your Legend has the escutcheon screws at 5 and 7 oclock. I dont think they have any trim for that. The Legend Moentrol has screws at 2 and 7.

All the valves on the website labeled as "PosiTemp" : NONE of those parts will fit your valve at all.

Moen does make a trim kit for the standard valve. it is a Monticello style model T2529 (tub/shower) or T2524 (shower only). This is a direct trim kit that will attach to the wall, providing the screws are definitely at 5 & 7. Legend as far as I know, does have them.

moen-monticello-shower-tango.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks