Hand Shower Elbow Placement - Now On Other Side of Jack/King Stud

Users who are viewing this thread

pollymath

Reaction score
Originally, I had planned by Hand Shower Elbow (Shaving/Cleaning Only) to be centered between a diverter and the corner, in line with my shower diverter valve at 48" from the floor.

The shower head is on an opposite wall.

The problem, is that because of my niche placement on the "dry side" of the shower (in line with my diverter) I can't do the classic "center under diverter".

For this renovation, I need to move some studs in my bearing wall. I installed a header, and created some sweet deep niches above and below my diverter.

So, my original plan was to sneak the Drop Ear Elbow under my bearing wall 2x6 header (where the diverter and niches reside) so I didn't need to drill thru my freshly made jack/king stud.

Of course, as bad luck would have it, my drain center changed a bit, which pushed my diverter into the corner a bit further, along with my niches and now "between the corner and diverter" is smack dab in the middle of my king stud.

Alternatives:

- Hand Shower between Diverter and glass door. Plenty of open space there.

- Ditch a Niche, put it under the diverter (although I still have a shaving niche down there too)

- Up and Over: go up alongside the showerhead supply line, thru the top plate, into the unconditioned attic space, then back down on the otherside of the king/jack.

- Drill the King/Jack and put it as close to centered between diverter and corner as possible.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For a 2x4 stud in a bearing wall, the IRC permits a 1.4" hole (40% of stud width) without restriction on the number of studs drilled. So I don't see any issue with a 3/4" hole through a king and jack.

https://up.codes/viewer/alabama/irc-2015/chapter/6/wall-construction#R602.6

BTW, the required number of king studs and jack studs depend on the span of the header and possibly the tributary length.

Cheers, Wayne

pollymath

Reaction score
Ok, so that raises the next question:

Do these Delta MultiChoice 3-Position diverters really only leave you with the left side for the hand shower? My hand shower will be on the RIGHT which means I'll need to down around and under my diverter valve. Why can't they just make a piece that switches the outlet side?

I don't really want the 6-Setting trim because then I'll end up with a lot of positions that do nothing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks