Hairline cracks in brand new softener tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin Craig

Reaction score
I bought a whole house carbon filter about 4 years ago and recently I noticed hairline cracks in the neck where the valve screws in and water was slowly leaking out. I contacted the website where I ordered the tank and they had a new one sent out promptly. But I noticed on the new tank there are already hairline cracks. Is this normal? It seems like the valve cap they used during shipping was on quite tightly and I'm wondering if it was screwed in too tight and caused these little cracks. I'm wondering if I should even bother installing this. Curious to get your thoughts. Attached a picture of the new tank and also the old leaking tank.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221001_194159_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001_194159_Photos.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20221001_194059_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001_194059_Photos.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 98

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Dunno much about those myself Kevin and can only add that I have a toilet with "hairline cracks" in the porcelain, which are purely cosmetic. Maybe that is the case with your new tank as well.

I had asked the mfr about my cracking. You should contact "the website" again and ask them about it.

Kevin Craig

Reaction score
Update here. I installed the new tank despite the hairline cracks and sure enough it continued to leak slowly as soon as I turn the water on. After about 2 hours of tinkering and trying different things, I finally decided to lube the entire valve head with silicone. I screwed it on and that took care of the leak completely. Now I'm wondering if the 4-year-old tank was even defective at all, or if the valve had just needed more silicone lube.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks