Hairline crack on top of acrylic tub -- sanity check me here

Users who are viewing this thread

Abking

Reaction score
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time commenter. Image attached

In the middle of my first bathtub install and tile project. We installed an acrylic Kohler tub successfully (mortared, leveled, etc.). I did mess up the pilot hole when I attached to the wall surround, but that's an issue for a different day.

Tub was/is strong and sturdy after install. After doing the tub install, I started the cement board surround. I thought it was a good idea to temporarily run a screw right above the tile flange to support the CB before running in the CB screws. Well, when I put the CB on the support screw, it cracked the tub (about 8 inches long).

My plan:

1. Stop drill the end of the crack with smallest drill bit I have. Is this step necessary? I want to make certain it doesn't propagate down the the "wet" area that holds water.
2. Use this kit <-- Any feedback on this kit and process?

I got it quoted by the only tub repair guy in the area and he said $800 -_-. At that point, I would buy a new tub.

tub.PNG

Abking

Reaction score
UPDATE:

On a whim, I called Kohler to see what they thought. The rep said this is not uncommon and likely not caused by the method I described. They are sending the rep out to fix it or give me a replacement tub. Praying for the former because there is no way I want to rip these walls out

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fiberglass/Acrylic is easily repaired in place by a skilled technician.

We had one fixed in our shop, hadn't been installed.. it looked worse than when they started. Not Kohler
We broke a Big 72" Toto tub and had it fixed good as new.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ABking, It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong to me. I just put a Kohler in Friday like that don't have model number, We used to just use nails on steel tub. but I been drilling flange as well and was pleased to see Kohler is good with drilling flange. One thing I do and recommend is not putting stress on tub so screw it till it touches tub don't make it flex. Mine had 4 round legs about an 1 1/8 inch diameter I used steel shims to level it off. then in middle I just stacked some 14 inch square cement boards and a big blog drywall mud. I've used mortar and other stuff just wondering what you use I like when walls are open and you can pack the mud in.
I like hole drilling at end of crack Id have a drill ready when rep comes. Tract homes apartments and hotels they get beat to hell and several tubs will need repair out of say 50 or a hundred tubs. Just like Tuttles says there's guys that's their job to repair them and they are pretty good. Good Luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks