Hairline Crack in Toilet Tank - Repair or Replace

Users who are viewing this thread

KC27

Reaction score
I have an American Standard Cadet 3 that has been in use for three years. I noticed a hairline crack in the outside of the front-center portion of the tank. The tank is 12" high, and this crack starts at the top and goes down 6". The crack is visible from the inside of the tank, too. Are tanks repairable? If so, what is the best way to make the repair?

cadet3-tank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

George Leavell

Reaction score
I attempted to repair a tank for a toilet from my mother-in-law. I just used some JB weld as I recall. However it didn't hold up it still leaked so we replaced the toilet.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm sure they are repairable, but to properly do it would cost more than a new tank by a lot.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm sure they are repairable, but to properly do it would cost more than a new tank by a lot.

It seems that the tanks are sold for less than $70 most everywhere. I would never trust a tank with a crack in my home, I've seen them break in half when the homeowners are at work and caused quite a bit of water damage to the home. How good is your home insurance?.

KC27

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the answers. I will get a new tank.

I do not know how we damaged the tank. The seat has dampers, so it lowers slowly and offers resistance when raised, so it would be hard to slam the seat lid into the tank when lifting the seat. Plus, it would seem the tank lid would crack from that kind of treatment, not the tank itself.

The toilet came from Home Depot. I will start with them for a replacement tank.

Attachments

• IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_3879.jpg
    IMG_3879.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 164

KC27

Reaction score
American Standard is sending me a replacement tank at no charge. It will take a week to get here. Is there anything I can do to help keep the tank in one piece until the replacement arrives? I was thinking of wrapping the tank in tape. Is that worth doing, or is it better to leave it alone?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
kind of sounds negligent for someone to not turn the water off. I would consider it your fault if your house floods. to continue to use it I think is your own risk shouldn't be an insurance claim. So I would take it out of service immediately

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
what jeff said.

just shut the toilet off and take it out of service when not in use. if its the only toilet in the home, then water on/off at use to minimize risk until replacement parts arrive. rough way to have to do, but limits liability to damage to your home.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
my buddy had a rental unit that had leaks that went on with mold etc tenant moved out place was a wreck, insurance company denied claim , said that they were negligent all repairs were up to owner to pay

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks