Had Reverse Osmosis Water System installed in Kitchen Sink. Low pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

ForAFriend

Reaction score
I just had a RO water filtration system installed (whirlpool model WHAROS5 I believe) and was told to leave the faucet on for 24hrs for the system to purge. I noticed in the manual it says the pressure should increase to max after a couple of hours of it being on but that has not happened (It has been 12 hours). It is a slow trickle still. Is this common? Or did I misread and it is supposed to be a slow trickle for the first 24 hours?

Reach4

Reaction score
With the faucet on/open, the pressure will not increase. I have to assume that the manual is talking about the pressure increasing after you close the faucet.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
24 hours is ridiculous., since the tank could NEVER fill to build up pressure if the faucet is open. Once the faucet is turned off, if the system is working correctly, you will get some pressure after about a half hour and full pressure in a few hours. NOrmally, the way you purge it is let the tank fill, then run it dry by using all the stored water, then letting the system operate normally.

ForAFriend

Reaction score
24 hours is ridiculous., since the tank could NEVER fill to build up pressure if the faucet is open. Once the faucet is turned off, if the system is working correctly, you will get some pressure after about a half hour and full pressure in a few hours. NOrmally, the way you purge it is let the tank fill, then run it dry by using all the stored water, then letting the system operate normally.
So I should turn off the faucet. Let the storage tank fill for 30min-1hour? Then let the faucet run until a small drizzle? Then am i ready to drink the water?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
by now, you don't even have to drain the tank, because you have already run a lot of water through it. Just turn off the faucet and wait about an hour, then start using the water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most people do not like the 'taste' of water that goes through a reverse osmosis filter.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
That's just the point...it's tasteless! Give me some nice spring water any day. It depends on what you start with, some places the water coming in is just plain gross, so anything is better that removes things like Sulphur, some metals, or salt. Things that don't necessarily preclude it from being supplied as drinking water, but enough nasty that people don't want to use it. Makes nice ice cubes...so you don't taint your drink. It can make your bread rise higher, and baked goods taste better. But to drink...I'd pass unless my source was crappy, and it was the only thing I had.

ForAFriend

Reaction score
That's just the point...it's tasteless! Give me some nice spring water any day. It depends on what you start with, some places the water coming in is just plain gross, so anything is better that removes things like Sulphur, some metals, or salt. Things that don't necessarily preclude it from being supplied as drinking water, but enough nasty that people don't want to use it. Makes nice ice cubes...so you don't taint your drink. It can make your bread rise higher, and baked goods taste better. But to drink...I'd pass unless my source was crappy, and it was the only thing I had.

I do not know what you mean by "most people", but millions upon millions of people DO LOVE it. Actually, there is NO "taste".

I have read that reverse osmosis water lacks the ''good'' minerals needed for the body, but I am not sure if this is just useless talk or not because there's also discussion on how water isn't a source for minerals, but it is for contaminants. I was thinking of replacing my system with an APEC ROES-PH75 since it adds minerals in the process. Is it worth the extra money or am I wasting my time? What is your guys' opinion on this? Should I stick with my RO system?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Many people spend lots of money removing minerals with either softeners or filters. It all depends on what you want in the end. Really pure water will attack many materials and literally pull chemicals out of the pipes. THere's a reason why water is called the universal solvent. It can take eons, but water will attack most things. Try drinking distilled water...that's about as close to a sample as a good reverse osmosis system. It won't hurt you, but most people think it tastes 'flat', or 'funny'. You get used to it, if it's the only thing you have. To most people, given the choice of say a good spring water (which will have some minerals in it) or RO water, and for drinking purposes, they'd prefer the spring water. Now, if your spring was a sulfur spring, I think everyone would prefer the RO water!

When it comes to cooking with it, or even washing the car, the RO water, because it doesn't have minerals in it, will not leave water spots. It can let your dish washer make cleaner dishes without spots, as will using it to wash your car, too. And, it won't leave mineral deposits around your faucets or sinks or whatever. Your clothes may get cleaner in the WM. It depends.

It depends on how your 'raw' water tastes, and your final objective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks