Had Problem with CST703 and now others..

Users who are viewing this thread

JG

Reaction score
I don't if I am the only one here asking this question but I am renting an apartment and they had toto CST703 (1.6gpf, RF and bowl height - very low) installed earlier - I don't know which one but must be the cheapest one. Every time it flushed water used to splash out of the bowl on the floor or on the person's bottom if flushed while sitting and also got clogged few times. I told them and they saw it and replaced both the toilet bowls with one Eljer and other one American Standard (both are 1.6gpf, RF and bowl height - even lower than TOTO) . Eljer is still splashing the water drops out of the bowl while flushing and also when in-use the bowl splashes water in both Eljer and American standard and hits the bottom of a person using it. The water level in American Stantard bowl is too high as a result contributing to the splash while in-use but the Eljer I think it must be the bowl design flaw? I don't know now how to fix this. Is there any way to fix these splash problems? Is there a way to lower the water level in the bowl? Or I am just stuck with this and there is no solution for this now? Atleast earlier bowl didn't spalsh while in use :(
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Everybody makes all kinds, and in all price ranges.
You may be putting in bottom end stuff, in which case they may not work as well as their better stuff.
You don't give model numbers, so anything said would just be a guess.

The inexpensive builder grade Toto, the CST703 Reliant works fairly well, but with some splash.

The upgrade Toto Drake CST743S works very well with no splash, and plenty of space between seat and water level.

The Eljer and the American Standard mentioned could just be their low end products. They also have better things.

briggs_1.jpg

Water level is determined by the upper bend in the trapway, it acts like a dam, however high that is, that's how high the water will be.

Last edited:

JG

Reaction score
apt plumbing compatibility - is it true?

Thanks, Terry! I asked the apt mgmt to replace with models you mentioned (and I can pay for them if they want) but they say that they use what they use because that is what works with plumbing systems in the apartment.

Is it true that not all models work with all plumbing? I had thought that as long as a toilet fits well with the sewage drainage pipe coming to the toilet (and fits in that space), it would be fine.

As an aside, we had Kohler Wellworth elongated in our prev apt and no problems of flushing or anything - were we just lucky or would that be a reasonable alternative if it fits?

Thanks again for all your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most toilets fit on standard drains.
What is your manager talking about?

If all of the other toilets work, then any toilet should work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks