H2S Test Kit

Users who are viewing this thread

Beets

Reaction score
I was curious what is the best way to measure H2S in water. For instance, I could get a test strip, but I suspect it only measures the dissolved H2S. That would be something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/WaterWorks-Hydrogen-Sulfide-Test-Strip/dp/B009MMUMYQ This one goes from 0 to 80 ppm.

I could also get one where you add add alka-seltzer tablets like this which reads whatever H2S it can push into the gas phase:
https://ca.hach.com/hydrogen-sulfide-test-kit-model-hs-c1/product-downloads?id=52977814066 This one goes from 0 to 5 ppm.

My water is very high pH which means that the vast majority of the H2S is in solution. Thus, I'm leaning towards the first product which is lower cost, quicker delivery, and has a larger test range. I had a water guy test my water once and said it was over 5 ppm. I don't recall how he tested it, but I'm guessing it was the hach test.

Are there other better options?

Beets

Reaction score
I bought the Water Works test. Test strips go up to 80 ppm. It's pretty hard to distinguish between 0 and 5 ppm. I'm not certain I am seeing any color change. About all I'm confident saying is that I'm <10 ppm.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
I bought the Water Works test. Test strips go up to 80 ppm. It's pretty hard to distinguish between 0 and 5 ppm. I'm not certain I am seeing any color change. About all I'm confident saying is that I'm <10 ppm
I seem to recall someone telling you test strips were a waste of time because you can't get an accurate result.... can't quite remmber who.... :)

Beets

Reaction score
Thank you. Water works also have test strips for 0 to 2 ppm. I bought and tried these. Test results were repeatable. I feel I was able to read my H2S within about 0.5 ppm based on the color. I can't speak to the accuracy of the test itself though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks