Gutted bathroom needs some tub vent advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Laostrich

Reaction score
Hi all,

my only bathroom with tub has been gutted and still playing with relocating fixtures.

Ideally I’d like to keep the tub where it is but bathroom remodeled who came by ( not plumber) that the tube vent is not connected. Upon me check went down to the crawl space, I think some pipe( 1 1/2”) connected to sink area vent pipe. There are two vent pipes on the sink area and one of them is connected to the tub. The distance is approximately 8ft. Think by code, the pipe should have been 2”. But I’d 8ft distance is too far? I’m in California if anyone’s wondering.

or based on what you see, if something needs to be replaced, please let me know. I’m a new-ish home owner who never have to think about plumbing before.

Attachments

• 34E09B7F-3C85-4576-856B-4D3972C699E6.jpeg
    34E09B7F-3C85-4576-856B-4D3972C699E6.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 155
  • AD8DAE3E-CC49-49F9-BF8E-B8654B38ADAD.jpeg
    AD8DAE3E-CC49-49F9-BF8E-B8654B38ADAD.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 612CF2FA-CC0F-41F2-9CC3-DE29B9AA6225.jpeg
    612CF2FA-CC0F-41F2-9CC3-DE29B9AA6225.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 2B5B5EE7-A30C-4192-9593-C54365C38547.jpeg
    2B5B5EE7-A30C-4192-9593-C54365C38547.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 159
  • E5EA37EA-18A8-4D0E-91D6-074BF0577708.jpeg
    E5EA37EA-18A8-4D0E-91D6-074BF0577708.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 157
  • E2BA39FE-F3E9-46CB-BA33-7A51357269D3.jpeg
    E2BA39FE-F3E9-46CB-BA33-7A51357269D3.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 168

Laostrich

Reaction score
By the way, the contractor was proposing a bump out on where the existing shower/tub fixture is located to host a vent pipe go directly to the attic( it’s a single story house with attic)

Reach4

Reaction score
Whoever converted that plumbing to plastic did not do a good job. I suspect the tub originally had a drum trap, which does not need a vent.

img_6.jpg
That lavatory drain with the silvery coupler should have had a long sweep. Somebody may be able to tell you how to best convert that to wet-venting the tub under UPC.

Last edited:

Laostrich

Reaction score
Thank you,

the home is 110 years old ( I’m assuming g the tub is similar age) by looking at most of the “upgrade” things done to the house, I’m not surprised to hear what Reach said.

It would be great someone can put me into right direction. I’ll be meeting few plumbers this week, it would be nice to what to ask as well..

Thank you!

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I think the wet venting should work, if a plumber doesn't know what that means, don't hire them. However, if it's really impossible to wet vent, and you don't have to pass inspection, a horizontal dry vent is much better than no vent at all. And on a 1910 house, going from no vent to a vent that has a slightly higher chance of clogging than a code compliant vent is a significant and practical improvement imo. I'm sure some folks will disagree but realistically you got by for many years with no vent.

Laostrich

Reaction score
I had an appointment this morning with licensed plumbing company and they sent a worker whom I had to type wet vent on his google. I’m sure his boss knew but chances getting him coming over might be slim since mine must be too small project for him.
At least three out of five companies that I contacted, they are all booked for a month!

the house looked like it was neglected until the worst but maybe 10-15 years prior me take over, then owner hired GC to upgrade electrical/ plumbing with permits. I could smell bit of unpleasant odor coming from the water that I bathed in,( still clear water) that was my biggest issue with the bathroom. Hmmm. Without what I can/can’t do for plumbing, it’s hard to make a design decision/ getting materials w/o knowing what kind of limitation I’m faced at.

@DIYorBust,

From the pictures, does it look like I have a horizontal vent from tub? Not that I’ll be contented with current setting since I’ll be still getting an odor, just wanted to know what I’m dealing with

Last edited:

DIYorBust

Reaction score
No it looks like you have an s trap type situation going on. But if that horizontal pipe is a lav drain, you could probably lower the tub trap and use it as a wet vent. I can't see that well, but a decent plumber would know what to do.

Laostrich

Reaction score
No it looks like you have an s trap type situation going on. But if that horizontal pipe is a lav drain, you could probably lower the tub trap and use it as a wet vent. I can't see that well, but a decent plumber would know what to do.

Noted, I’ll ask about wet vent. I still remember the puzzled look of guy when I asked him about the wet vent. I’ll be sure to ask about it in person. If I’m getting bit of similar look, I know that not a good sign. Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
An AAV on the tub trap arm in the crawlspace would be acceptable in a lot of places, but I think not in California.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks