Gut Check Basement Remodel Heating

Users who are viewing this thread

Dougwill

Reaction score
Hello,

I am hoping to get a sanity check on the design for my basement heating system that I am almost complete roughing in.

The house is a 1950's ranch ~ 1500 sq ft and has a venturi monoflow heating system with convectors on the first floor. When we purchased the house we installed a bosch greenstar 151 combi boiler. There are two zones, one for the first floor and one for the basement.

Previously, the basement was uninsulated and had a single 25' long baseboard heater that was the only emitter on the basement zone.

We are in the process of refinishing the basement and I am installing Buderus panel radiators. There are 6 radiators going in in total: four 24 x 20, one 36x20 and one 59x20.

The basement is now fully insulated with rockwool batts on all walls and the ceiling.

In the Buderus product info, they do not recommend using more the 3 radiators on a mono flow system with the diverter valves, so I decided to install a two pipe, reverse return system.

Here is how it is roughed in:

-Basement zone pump feeds 3/4 copper which is converted to 3/4 pex

-3/4 pex supply pipe loops around basement with a 3/4 x 1/2 tee at each radiator supply location. At the last radiator, I used a 3/4 x 1/2 reducer elbow to feed the supply of that radiator.

- 3/4 pex return pipe loops around basement, starting with a 3/4 x 1/2" reducer elbow at the first radiator to start the return pipe and 3/4 x 1/2 tee at all remaining radiators.

My main concern is that I will get proper flow through the radiators using standard tee fittings and that I don't need any special diverter tees to get water to flow through the radiators. Do the 3/4 supply and return pipes essentially act like big manifold headers that will evenly push the water through each radiator?

Also, is there any issue that this is on the same boiler as the venturi monoflow system with convectors upstairs? The returns from the upstairs monoflow system and the downstairs two pipe system will combine before they return to the boiler.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Curious none of the heating experts have chimed in. If we still had a heating department I would have a good answer.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Taco makes a line of E series pumps with ecm motors that will save electric for not much more. Taco also makes controllers that will prioritise dhw and control the heating zones
IMG_20210615_154457.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks