Gurgling Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Youaintnoplumber

Reaction score
Hi y’all! I’ve got an issue of a gurgling toilet and some waste that comes back into the toilet after the flush. The install was not done well since I ain't no plumber. Anyway, install is flange to short 90 then 2 ft run to elbow 90 to second elbow 90. See drawing. Any thoughts on a way to correct this? Should I go 45 to 45 where the street 90 to street 90 is? The photo shows how close the street 90 is to the joist. Pipe is 3”
A5FBC8F4-E8B3-458B-B7AB-0AED216B8A28.jpeg
900BC278-24F7-423A-A86C-1274BF8A28D0.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Less than optimal . just wondering how your so certain that this is the problem? Ive pulled blocks of wood out and all kinds of stuff you ran a camera? 100 percent sure of no blockage? Btw I agree it was horrible pictures and hard to tell what was goiing on . If you really want it right raise the santee and you dont need 2 45 or 90s just straight shot . But I think you might have a stoppage something to at least concider

Youaintnoplumber

Reaction score
Less than optimal . just wondering how your so certain that this is the problem? Ive pulled blocks of wood out and all kinds of stuff you ran a camera? 100 percent sure of no blockage? Btw I agree it was horrible pictures and hard to tell what was goiing on . If you really want it right raise the santee and you dont need 2 45 or 90s just straight shot . But I think you might have a stoppage something to at least concider
No, not 100% sure what the problem is. The 3” lines were newly run so probably no blockage there. Would the blockage possibly be in the toilet itself? I can’t recall how much better it flushed before. But I’ll try running a camera. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
You could also try dumping water from a 5 gallon bucket or trash can down the toilet, from as high as you can, as fast as you dare. The hope is that the deluge moves any obstacle along.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Youaintnoplumb, Im not sure , if the line was clear I wouldnt expect gurgling , I also cant guess the job are thier kids 2 to 5 years old running around , tradesmen flushing whatever down toilet construction debris dropped down an open line . S happens. Its expensive to get it camera inspected. Also Ive never plumbed a toilet that way and Im not confident that would work well or not and cause a problem . though I sure dont like it.

Youaintnoplumber

Reaction score
Youaintnoplumb, Im not sure , if the line was clear I wouldnt expect gurgling , I also cant guess the job are thier kids 2 to 5 years old running around , tradesmen flushing whatever down toilet construction debris dropped down an open line . S happens. Its expensive to get it camera inspected. Also Ive never plumbed a toilet that way and Im not confident that would work well or not and cause a problem . though I sure dont like it.
Well yup, there are kiddos. I’ve got a camera. One of those things you’d see in a SWAT movie that I bought on Amazon for $30. I can’t get it to make the turn down to see if there’s some sort of clog. In other words, the stem of the camera is too rigid to make the turn. There’s quite a bit of calcium deposit though.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
a 3 inch open pipe flushing water down shouldnt gurgle even with turns is my thinking

Reach4

Reaction score
Well yup, there are kiddos. I’ve got a camera. One of those things you’d see in a SWAT movie that I bought on Amazon for $30. I can’t get it to make the turn down to see if there’s some sort of clog. In other words, the stem of the camera is too rigid to make the turn. There’s quite a bit of calcium deposit though.
Are you saying the camera cannot make the turn within the toilet trap, or are you stopped at some place below the floor?

Youaintnoplumber

Reaction score
Are you saying the camera cannot make the turn within the toilet trap, or are you stopped at some place below the floor?
Within the toilet trap. The spot where it makes the turn to drop down.
a 3 inch open pipe flushing water down shouldnt gurgle even with turns is my thinking
I’m wondering if there is just a bunch of calcium deposits. Do toilets get old?

Reach4

Reaction score
I’m wondering if there is just a bunch of calcium deposits. Do toilets get old?
Yes, for two reasons. The designs of the more modern toilets have a smooth trapway. They tend to flush better than older designs, despite using less water.

Toilets can indeed have hardness deposits. That is not usually due to the trapway getting limed up, but the rim holes and siphon jet can get limed up.

If you replace the toilet, that would also be a good time to run your camera. You can lift a toilet, run the camera, and put the same toilet back, but a new toilet is likely to function better.

Youaintnoplumber

Reaction score
Yes, for two reasons. The designs of the more modern toilets have a smooth trapway. They tend to flush better than older designs, despite using less water.

Toilets can indeed have hardness deposits. That is not usually due to the trapway getting limed up, but the rim holes and siphon jet can get limed up.

If you replace the toilet, that would also be a good time to run your camera. You can lift a toilet, run the camera, and put the same toilet back, but a new toilet is likely to function better.
I may just replace the toilet. This one uses more water anyway so I think going to a low flush toilet will save money. Right now 2 flushes each number 2 is just extra water. And if that doesn’t solve the problem. Well, at least I’ll have a new lower volume toilet. Too many toilets to choose from though! But I see posts about the Toto Drake so may get that one. Thanks and I’ll update if toilet fixed the issue

Reach4

Reaction score
Drake is a 2-piece. Those are cheaper, and easier to carry up the stairs for assembly. One piece is pre-assembled, and for Toto, the one-piece toilets include a seat.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a toto 1.6 gal from 2002 a kohler welworth elongated 1.6. and a 1 year old 1.25 gal toto round bowl could be a drake but whatever it is Im not impressed. I think the older Toto and the approx 2008 ish kohler are just fine

Youaintnoplumber

Reaction score
I have a toto 1.6 gal from 2002 a kohler welworth elongated 1.6. and a 1 year old 1.25 gal toto round bowl could be a drake but whatever it is Im not impressed. I think the older Toto and the approx 2008 ish kohler are just fine
I’m thinking one piece - just makes life easier. Which one would you get?

Reach4

Reaction score
I’m thinking one piece - just makes life easier. Which one would you get?
See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/which-toto-toilet-to-keep.99084/#post-712774

Ultramax is roughly the 1-piece version of the Drake. Not all Ultramax toilets are the same. At some point they switched from flapper flush valves to tower flush valves.
This involves troubleshooting a 1 gpf version: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toto-cst604u-1g-handle-and-flush-valve.101956/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks