Gurgling sound from toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

wikid321

Reaction score
So here is my issue. I live in a two story home with 3 toilets. Two upstairs and one ground level. No basement. The two upstairs when flushed and the water empties makes a gurgle sound. The one on the first level doesn't. Here is what I've done so far. I sealed all drains minus the 3 toilets with duct tape. I then plunged all 3 toilets about 15-20 times. I also got some liquid at home depot for drains and put it down both showers in the bathrooms upstairs. kitchen sink, and the washer drain. Water to sinks and showers flow fine and no gurgling heard. Ive read that it can be a clog, air pipe on roof and finally the worst which is a sewer outside line cracked. Anyone have any ideas? could it be the flushing piece inside the toilet where handle flushes? Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to make the bottom floor toilet gurgle too? :rolleyes:

You are only talking about a momentary sound during the flush? Seriously, why worry? No smell. No water backing into the shower or tub.

How often do you get your septic tank pumped? OK, I know you are going to say you have city sewer.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
  1. Exactly when does it make the gurgling sound of the flush cycle? At the very end as the bowl empties, there is a gurgle sound. It's air slapping the water around to break the siphon. The down stairs toilet may also do it but it may be draining slower and the gurgle doesn't last as long. The upstairs units the siphon draw is greater since the water is traveling mostly vertical to the main waste line under the slab.
  2. About how long does the noise last?
  3. Did this just start?
  4. Do all other drains work without problems?
  5. Save your money and do not buy drain cleaner of any kind. They do not work.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Is it the same model toilet for all three?

wikid321

Reaction score
I only get the sound when the toilet is flushed and the water empties. I just started hearing it in my main master bathroom. All drains flow and work fine.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If the sound starts at the beginning of the flush and it never happened before, I would guess there is some blockage but where is nearly impossible to say.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the sound starts at the beginning of the flush and it never happened before, I would guess there is some blockage but where is nearly impossible to say.
If the flush is significantly slower (less vigorous) than for the other identical toilets, then there is something to be concerned about.

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like a venting issue. The gurgling is likely caused by the vacuum created behind the water draining, trying to pull air from somewhere. Normally it will pull from the vent, but if the vent is clogged, it will pull air from the toilet bowl instead.

wikid321

Reaction score
So here it today's update. Plumber came out yesterday and was too scared to go on roof. Said would reschedule and come back. I then ran out to his truck and told him we have access from the attic. What if we cut the pipe and go from there. So he said your handy here is a collar and cut and pour bleach down there. Issue not resolved. Now here is a question. The one louder toilet is next to a shower. The second toilet upstairs is as well. I also have two vent pipes in the attic not just one. I have a larger one which was one i cut but have a smaller one. Could i have a blockage with maybe hair from one of the showers and it connects to same drain and using same vent pipe? Someone asked is all 3 toilets were the same. There alre all different makes and models. I since called them back and asked them to figure out where this issue is their the pros not me.

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Vent pipes often completely close up over time (especially backvents) due to condensation/residual drainage (due to turbulence) hanging on the walls of the pipe, and slowly collecting small particles of miscellaneous matter. I think it will be very difficult to gain access to your problem area (which is likely precisely where the vent connects to the drain), but I’m fairly confident this is the issue. The solution would be to locate the connections, cut out a section where the vent meets the drain, inspect, and if required, clear and repipe.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks