gurgling sink question

Users who are viewing this thread

roobinsteen

Reaction score
Hi, glad to be a part of this forum-this is my first post. The main sewer pipe for my house is hung about 5 feet above the basement floor. There is a sink in the basement that is used often. This basement sink has a small sump pump underneath it, which pumps the water up into the ceiling, where it connects to another pipe, and can drain by gravity into the main. Whenever the basement sink pump runs, it causes the sink in the kitchen upstairs to gurgle, sucking the water out of the trap, and releasing bad smells into the kitchen. I do not think that the upstairs pipe that the basement sink pipe connects to has anything else draining into it; only the kitchen sink. How can I remedy this problem? I imagine this is a venting problem. Is there a vent or valve that I should have, but don't? The basement sink pump has what I think is an air admittance valve on top of it. I've attached a few pictures to help make it more clear. I attached 2 pictures of the connection between the pipe coming from the basement sink and the upstairs pipe, 1 picture of where that connects into the main sewer pipe, and 1 more of the valve on top of the pump.

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 435
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 404
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 480
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    40 KB · Views: 384

roobinsteen

Reaction score
None! sorry. I didn't include any, for no good reason. Here's 2 pics from under the kitchen sink. I'm not really sure what the purpose of that "loop" is; excuse my ignorance, I'm a plumbing rookie. Also, I was thinking that there needs to be a vent in between, or "upstream" of where my basement sink pipe ties in to the kitchen pipe (which is vented, but after the tie in), because otherwise the vent is useless in this situation. Does there need to be some sort of air admittance valve under the kitchen sink, so that suction from the pump will not cause any suction in the kitchen trap?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 380
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 382
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks