Gurgling sink getting worse

Users who are viewing this thread

Rainydaytoast

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering how I go about stopping the gurgling from this sink. It only happens when I drain this sink and nothing else in the house. From what I've read it is to do with a vent. Lately it has become worse and I have been given the task to fix it by my dearest. I have been told by a plumber that it's more trouble than it's worth... (Was he just lazy?)

Anyway I'm thinking I need to refit the layout? and I should also mention that at some point we are going to put in a disposal unit.

Any and all help is appreciated.

image.jpeg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have two S-traps, which should never have passed any inspection. To fix it, you need to be able to run the drain line up higher, add a vent line (an AAV might be approved for use where you live), and change things to p-traps. You can combine the two and only use one p-trap if you want, but if not, you'd need two vents or two AAVs.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here are some examples. I would use a Studor Mini vent for the AAV:

Attachments

• double sink w aav.jpg
    double sink w aav.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 336
  • double with aav.jpg
    double with aav.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 339

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering how I go about stopping the gurgling from this sink. It only happens when I drain this sink and nothing else in the house. From what I've read it is to do with a vent. Lately it has become worse and I have been given the task to fix it by my dearest. I have been told by a plumber that it's more trouble than it's worth... (Was he just lazy?)

Anyway I'm thinking I need to refit the layout? and I should also mention that at some point we are going to put in a disposal unit.

Any and all help is appreciated.

View attachment 35207
Is this a joke?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Perhaps S traps are legal in Australia, but they are not in the US and it is because they are not vented. Aside from the code question, if you were to replace this mess with vented P traps or a Studor vent, your problems would be over. Yes, I think your plumber was either lazy or not very well trained. And yes, get rid of the shelf.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks