Gurgling noise from sink

Users who are viewing this thread

pixel

Reaction score
Several seconds after using our upstairs bathroom sink, there is a slight gurgling noise and I can feel a slight vibration if I touch the P-trap. I've seen various explanations of this but am not sure which relates to my particular situation. I'm not handy with plumbing and don't mind to eventually call our plumber but was first wondering if there might be a simple remedy and if the situation is in any way urgent.

This only appears to be happening at this one sink - no other plumbing fixture in the house is doing it, including the toilet and tub in the same bathroom as this sink. Also, if I fill the sink and then release the stopper, the water drains very quickly. This indicates to me that the P-trap is not clogged. I also let the water run for a while and there is no backup, so probably no clog further down the drain pipe. On the other hand, if it's a clogged vent pipe, don't several fixtures share the same vent so that they would also be affected?

There have been no plumbing changes recently, our AC was installed ten years ago (since someone had suggested to me a potential problem related to that) and this issue is fairly recent.

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
and if the situation is in any way urgent.
Not urgent. You open the drain stopper, and the water goes down. No smells.

Post the picture anyway. It is a curiosity. Vessel sink? Funny p-trap?

pixel

Reaction score
Here's a photo (smaller than I intended but it should do). I doubt there's anything unusual there. And I just remembered that the supply valves were recently changed but don't think that would have anything to do with this issue. Thanks.

DCauuSOfgPYvXW9EidYhz0WPTBaj1buyKqrnEQLuDjdvW775f1a3SYsRvzSss-HxQ08R2FWd9lXZQLrh5mJkJJ9ZMNtiPKpfTuQ7KACRFQ=w308-h220

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks