Guidance and a good BS filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

DougDodge

Chief Onion Peeler
Reaction score
Website
www.dataminders.com
Greetings and salivations fellow sewer rats.. :cool:

This looks like a great community. Found you folks after wading through what appears to be an attempt by a segment of the plumbing-related community to hijack their SEO providers. These would be the providers of Whole Home Filtration Systems. Man, they must own a lot of domains! (see thread title)

I had two areas I'd greatly appreciate a little guidance on if you please. The first would, in fact, be related to whole home Filtration systems. I am planning on installing one of these systems later this spring. I am a DIY guy and am proficient at sweating (pipes and me - it's a two-fer ;)) and so forth. And, I always go "by the book" in terms of permits and such.

I want a good, solid system that will cover all the bases. Initial research indicates pre-filters, some 'stuff' in-between and a UV process. Am I reading this right? What would help most would be a simple tick list of items, perhaps order of process if needed and some good products. I think this is all I'd need but please correct me. I really am just past the "pig looking at a watch" stage in terms of understanding. Thanks!

My home, when I finish the last two rooms will be just under 5,000 squares (for sizing purposes). It contains:

• One full bath (jetted tub, shower, toilet and sink)
  • One 1/2 bath (toilet & sink)
  • One 3/4 bath (toilet, shower and sink plus a dry sauna)
  • Kitchen sink & dishwasher x 2 (upstairs/downstairs)
  • Tub in garage
  • Washer and sink
  • Recirculating pump (14 years in and I discovered cavitation; that was a surprise!)
The second would be any advice or guidance on replacing the boiler at the little church I attend. 40 years back I used work for a fellow who built Jack La Lanne health spas in Southern California. Read that as "I get that I need a licensed boilermaker/plumber". He's already replaced a gas valve that went bonkers last week, and we're meeting tomorrow for a few minor repairs plus a shark-bite fix for yet another issue. (Funny how it all piles up). Essentially the same as above; looking for best practices, product and perhaps a pointer or two to the process I'd expect. Again, thanks.

Side note: As I am a computer guy I'd be more than happy to answer any questions and provide advice as needed, no limits. Well, I will either sleep or stop breathing at some point so take that into consideration. And, I am so smart I managed to screw up my initial account. Just stinking brilliant. :)

Doug

PS - I've been online since 1987 or earlier. Love the interaction. There are some terrific folks out there.

JRC3

Reaction score
These would be the providers of Whole Home Filtration Systems. Man, they must own a lot of domains!
Man aint that the truth. I just installed an RO system and I'm trying to research "remineralization" for healthy water. I get nothing but sites wanting to sell. I remember the same when researching softeners and iron filters. I love the domains with official sounding names or the ones that represent themselves as some independent non-biased testing laboratory endorsing their own products.

Reach4

Reaction score
For water treatment, you would want to get a lab water test on the raw water. I like kit90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ for a home well. If there were chemicals suspected, one of their bigger tests could be worthwhile. It is a mail-in test, so it does not test for the more volatile stuff. H2S you detect with your nose generally. Radon can be a separate test, although uranium is tested for at a level of <0.02 mg/L, and it is supposedly is a parent of radon. If there is radon in your area, I might look at getting that tested for separately.

Some water will have sediment that you will deal with. It is less with city water, but still there. I presume you are expecting to drill a well. So a test on a neighbor's well would give a good initial guess on what your well water will be like for pre-planning.

Water differ.

DougDodge

Chief Onion Peeler
Reaction score
Website
www.dataminders.com
Man aint that the truth. I just installed an RO system and I'm trying to research "remineralization" for healthy water. I get nothing but sites wanting to sell. I remember the same when researching softeners and iron filters. I love the domains with official sounding names or the ones that represent themselves as some independent non-biased testing laboratory endorsing their own products.

Yup, and thanks for taking the time to, at a bare minimum, reinforce the notion I am not totally nuts. Maybe just a little but certainly not all the way. LOL :D

I will also make sure to report my findings should I be first to actually find some clarity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks