Grunge in Toto toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Jklingel

Reaction score
One of our Toto toilets has a "ring" at the top of the normal water level, and we can't get it out. We have tried CLR, some other mild "bowl cleaner" and a pumice stone. I am hesitant to use muriatic acid, as I don't know if it will take off the Whatever coating on the toilet; it seems there is somewhat conflicting info here when I searched. My questions then are, (1) what is the harshest chemical I can use that won't destroy the slick coating that Toto puts on their toilets, and (2) should we pumice with said chemical sitting on the toilet wall, or pumice after we let the chemical sit and have removed it? We have softened water from a well, and have a septic tank. My plan would be to use some nasty chemical, then suck up what I can, add clean water, and suck that out, too. This only happened in the one toilet in our second bathroom; only two of us in the house and this toilet is used a tad less than the other one. Thank you for the advice. John

Reach4

Reaction score
I know about the warnings, but I think you may do as well with the pumice only. It would be nice if that ring material could be analyzed. I have a light ring. I have tried chemicals including muriatic and phosphoric acids, bleach. Maybe someday I will find something. For now, pumice -- despite the Duragloss AKA something-or-other.

Jklingel

Reaction score
I know about the warnings, but I think you may do as well with the pumice only. It would be nice if that ring material could be analyzed. I have a light ring. I have tried chemicals including muriatic and phosphoric acids, bleach. Maybe someday I will find something. For now, pumice -- despite the Duragloss AKA something-or-other.

Reach: Thanks for the reply. I got it! I think part of the problem was that "one of us" did not like my suggestion of shutting off the angle stop to the toilet and flushing it to get the water out of the bowl. Said "one of us" seemed to think the diluted chemical was just fine. When said "one of us" was gone I emptied the bowl and attacked it. At first I used a "pumice" of sorts (very soft) for a bit, and it was working ok, but I was too worried about the SaniGloss or DuraGloss coating. So, I grabbed some Scrubbing Bubbles and a nylon bristle brush, sprayed on the bubbles and let them sit a few minutes. The soaking bubbles and the nylon brush schnockered the ring. I don't think there was enough chemical used to upset the bacteria in my septic tank, either. I think they are pretty tough and pretty adaptive. After all, they don't live in a sterile environment.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks