Grunfos SQE 301 system fluctuating between good flow, none, back to good flow

Users who are viewing this thread

Pumper

Reaction score
Hi, first post.

I have a Grundfos 22SQE10-180 pump in a 205' deep well set at 120'. Static water level is about 30'. Well has never gone dry. Pump has been going strong going on 15 years come December, which I assume is a good life.

Recently the flow has been erratic. About 2 weeks ago the flow would start out good and then drop to a light stream. Now it's starting out good and dropping to 0 PSI, there's a one or two second lag time and then bam, right back to a good flow. This cycling repeats.

I'm beginning to think that the CU301 controller is going bad or there's some kind of mis-communication between the pump and the controller. We often get power "blinks" where we lose power for a split second and lightning storms is not uncommon. I don't have the controller on a surge protector. Will soon though.

2 gal. tank is still good and the transducer is clean. Would it behoove me to just buy another system? Unlike most local pump services I have a very honest well pump guy that will install an eBay system without a problem rather than buying if from him. Most local services want to gig you and require you buy from them mainly because of the State license requirement.

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think that the CU301 controller is going bad or there's some kind of mis-communication between the pump and the controller. We often get power "blinks" where we lose power for a split second and lightning storms is not uncommon. I don't have the controller on a surge protector. Will soon though.
Instead of a surge protector, consider a UPS (uninterruptible power supply).

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
15 years is the longest I have seen one of those last. Most have been replace 3-4 times by now. You can check the pump by disconnecting the CU301 box, and just hooking the pump directly to the breaker. Open a faucet or more and manually turn the breaker on. You can check the amps and flow output of the pump. Most likely it is the controller, but the motor has some electronics inside it as well.

Losing communication between the controller and the electronics in the motor is a normal problem with the SQE. But they normally just revert to working like a pressure switch with 15 PSI between on and off. Your symptoms do not sound like just a loss of communication.

Have you ever heard of "Tin Whiskers"? Anything with electronic circuits is susceptible to tin whiskers. The distance between electronic circuits is very short. Corrosion on the tin used to coat the electronics causes "whisker" less than the size of a human hair to grow up to 10mm long. When they grow long enough they can short out the electronics. No matter how well electronic components are made and taking care of, "whiskers" can limit how long they last. Kind of like having a fail by date built in for the manufacturer. You want a pump system to last longer, use one that has no integrated circuits or special electronics.
See this;
https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/vfd-repair-kit

Pumper

Reaction score
Thanks for your input fellas.

Never heard of tin whiskers. 10mm? That's like 1/2" long. :eek:

I'd like to change out the plumbing and equipment and go with your system which includes the 40/60 pressure switch. Kicker is that would take all day versus changing out everything including the pump at a cost below $2,000 turn key in a couple of hours.

I've been told that some of the SQE pumps can go 25 years. It's all relative to the water quality, how you set the pump, etc. My TDS is hard here in Central Texas at 600 PPM, mostly bicarbs of Mg and Ca. We have a 4' long sleeve attached to the motor's bottom to cut down on the amount of sand intake.

Will call today and get more info.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think the SQE first came on the market in 1999. Don't think there are any older than that. Last I heard they were on Generation 9 fixing bugs.

If the pump is still good a $174.00 CSV1A and a $20.00 pressure switch would put you back in business.

Pumper

Reaction score
Was installed in the winter of 2004. Apparently the latest CU301 is version 7. Word is the older versions (before they built in a 70PSI limit) was blowing out homes with pressures up to 100-120 PSI.

Pumper

Reaction score
Grundfos is a great company that fixes products as required. Ya can't say that about all of them.

After many communications with locals and internet service companies, the CSV is not my cup of tea. Too much back pressure stress is put on the pump, it's check valves, etc. Running a big pump at 1 gal. per minute for an extended time or frequently is no bueno.

You're a hard core salesman not only on this site but a few others. Make money!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Grundfos is a great company that fixes products as required. Ya can't say that about all of them.

After many communications with locals and internet service companies, the CSV is not my cup of tea. Too much back pressure stress is put on the pump, it's check valves, etc. Running a big pump at 1 gal. per minute for an extended time or frequently is no bueno.

You're a hard core salesman not only on this site but a few others. Make money!

If I was in it just for the money I would be selling VFD's ($2000 verses $174). I am glad you are having good luck with yours. But there are many people who don't have any luck with VFD's, big pressure tanks, flow switches, and many other ways of controlling pumps, which is what keeps me in business. I have to be all over the Internet dispelling rumors and incorrect statements like "too much back pressure stress is put on the pump", and "running at 1 GPM is not good for the pump". Back pressure reduces the amp draw and makes the pump/motor run cooler. The pump just thinks it is in a deeper well and is pumping less water. Pump/motors are made for "continuous duty". It says so on the side of the motor. They can run at 1 GPM, 24/7, 365 without any damage.

Started selling Grundfos in 1973, I like and use most of their stuff. That CU301 controller will give you good constant pressure and run your pump for extended times down to 1 GPM, just like a CSV would do. If you are not having problems with your VFD you don't need a CSV. Been doing this a long time, so I'll be here when you need me. :)

Oh, and sorry I said generation 9 when it is only 7 times it has been redesigned since 1999.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks