Grunfos comfort or readytemp

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmarro

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to add a recirc pump for long HW waits. No dedicated return so have to use cold water line for return. My HW tank is on third floor and feeds domestic and two air handlers with coils. I've been looking at the readytemp tl5000n as the end of the run is three stories downhill, 26 feet head, and the spec says it can handle 31' head. So farthest point for undercounter install on first floor is within head pressure. The grunfos only shows 5' head, so I am assuming I cannot use the grunfos, or am I mistaken because gravity plays a part and it's mounted on top of the HWH on third floor? I have plenty of experience with grunfos used in some chillers at work and their products have been solid. I know nothing about the ready temp except a nod from this forum on one of the threads. Any good or bad comments appreciated. Also with the higher HW Temps for the HW heater here, air handlers, etc. can you think of anything preventative to avoid issues upon install of either? Any help appreciated in advance!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your pump is not lifting water the head is used to tell you how many feet of pipe this pump can pump through at speed. Which is more complicated than knowing how many feet high something is. Most all of these pumps will work fine on most houses. Unless you have a mansion with over 300 feet of pipe you shouldn't need to factor in the pump size.

You should look into running a recirc line it's probably more possible than you think. The crossover systems are kind of junk in my opinion and will likley be illegal sometime in the future.

Morrelli

Reaction score
Thanks for educating me. It is a long run and a difficult one. HW to kitchen sink is at least 4 minutes wait time. Seems an incredible waste of (well) water not to mention inconvenience. That said, from what I've read, the small undersink tanks are problematic so I was looking for an alternative that might help the situation. Any comment on that appreciated. My last place had a tankless navien with recirc and the bypasses at a couple fixtures worked pretty well. I know this is much different, but man, these wait times are a pita. Unfortunately, I don't have the physical space to change what exists and will retrofit everything when the money is there to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks