Grundfos water pressure issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigdaddy74

Reaction score
I have a grundfos sqe 1hp pump that was hooked to a CU301. I have just converted it to a PK1A cycle stop valve kit thinking maybe my controller was telling my pump to act the way it was. I have the same concern on both the CU301 and the CSV. My concern is that when you turn on water (lets say the shower) the pump starts running but the pressure drops slowly from 70psi to 40psi and then when it reaches 40psi it drops drastically to 20psi and stabilizes at 20 and does not climb until you shut off the water, if you run a shower and turn on a sink at the same time the pressure hovers between 10 and 20psi but I never really run out of water. My well was punched 4 years ago and I was with the well driller when he hit water at 304ft he continued to 340ft. My grundfos sqe 1hp pump was set at 240ft. He put my well flow at 35+ GPM. I live in a very rural area with very few people for miles. This is a new development. My system used to work well and keep a constant pressure near 70psi with the CU301 for years. Lightning did take out my controller twice in the past 4 years and they are not cheap. The last controller I installed was about a year ago.

The only thing I can think of next is the pump. Does this sound like a pump going bad? If not, what are your thoughts? If so what would be the best replacement pump for my situation? I have 7 kids, a small hobby farm, a garden, and a pool so I use a lot of water and I don't want to replace my pump every 4 years and I want the absolute best performance and reliability that money can buy. I have already dumped enough money into this system to buy several pumps.

My grundfos pump is model 10SQE10-290.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would guess you are pumping the well off or you have a restriction in the line. If the driller hit water at 304, drilled to 340, then set the pump up at 240', the pump is set above the incoming water. If it is pumping the well off it could be lowered to 330'.

I would open a big valve or cut the pipe and do a bucket test. When you first turn on the pump, if it pumps a lot of water then drops off suddenly, you are pumping the well down. But if it just starts out pumping a weak stream, either the line is clogged or the pump is shot.

Bigdaddy74

Reaction score
I would guess you are pumping the well off or you have a restriction in the line. If the driller hit water at 304, drilled to 340, then set the pump up at 240', the pump is set above the incoming water. If it is pumping the well off it could be lowered to 330'.

I would open a big valve or cut the pipe and do a bucket test. When you first turn on the pump, if it pumps a lot of water then drops off suddenly, you are pumping the well down. But if it just starts out pumping a weak stream, either the line is clogged or the pump is shot.

Thanks for the quick reply valveman. I pulled the pipe apart and and checked the flow and it starts out with lots of pressure and then it just goes to weak pressure. To lower my pump do I need to pull the pump all the way out to install a continuous longer pipe to the pump or am I able to install a barbed fitting and extend the pipe with more pipe and reintall the pitless adapter?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks