Grundfos MQ45 Won't Start

Users who are viewing this thread

W Kunz

Reaction score
I have a grundfos MQ45 that I rebuilt the impellers in and now it will not start. I installed a new capacitor and still nothing. The lights come and it says "pump running" but nothing is happening. It sounds like it tries to start initially and then nothing happens. I can easily rotate the pump by hand with a screwdriver.

It lights up, makes a quick "bump" over sound, then nothing. Sits for a few minutes then "alarm" lights up.

Pressure tank was at 0 psi but I filled it to 25 psi and still nothing.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2020-03-13 15.59.25.jpg
    2020-03-13 15.59.25.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 212

Fitter30

Reaction score
Check voltage and all connections wiring diagram shows three wires going to flow switch but doesn't tell wbich is n.o. or n.c. Pull gently on all wires maybe one isn't terminated correctly.

W Kunz

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the help. Trying to avoid buying a new pump but might be heading that way. I just checked and accidentally had my new plug in wired wrong, it was basically trying to run on 120v, but I thought it should have started on 120v since these pumps are made for both?

I fixed the wiring and am getting 240v to the controls and now completely dead, no lights and no attempt to start whatsoever.

Thanks again for the replies.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Simple is reliable. Something without the electronics to go bad would be best. A regular jet pump with a PK1A constant pressure control kit has no electronics, will give better performance, and last much longer.

Pside-Kick on jet pump booster.jpg

W Kunz

Reaction score
I assume that pressure control kit allows you to get away with a smaller pressure tank? Seems like you would need something like 40+ gallons without it...

W Kunz

Reaction score
Anyone ever had a new goulds pump show up DOA? I bought a brand new 1 HP Goulds jet pump and put 240 to it and absolutely nothing happens. Seems odd it would be defective from the factory.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks