Grundfos CU 301 installed outdoors w/ no cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Singlecoil

Reaction score
I just went to a housewarming party at a friends house and checked out his well setup. I installed my own constant pressure controller and pressure tank, so I'm somewhat familiar with those systems. Mine is a different brand, but I was very surprised to see the controller (the computer) installed outdoors on a 4x4. It seems to me that it should be indoors rather than out exposed to the weather. I looked at the grundfos website, and their literature is pretty poor, but this looked pretty odd to me.
There was a big green tank lid next to the well as well, so my guess is that chamber contains the small pressure tank and the pressure sensor. It all looked pretty bizarre to me.
Should I tell my friend to call his builder?
I have a closeup of the controller, but I wish I had taken a photo of the whole setup.
Thanks.
grundfos.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think we covered this earlier. It doesn't matter which brand it is. Those variable speed controllers are computers. They are just as susceptible to heat, cold, dust, moisture, insects, and electrical problems, as the computer you are using to write this. Would you set your PC out on a pole in the elements? Then you should be just as careful with variable speed drive computers.

Even if you put the controller in the den with your PC, you are still going to have problems with it.

However, here is a recent link on how to solve the problems with this type system.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23931

Singlecoil

Reaction score
Actually, I think we both posted on a different message board :D

I was looking for a definitive response from someone who installs these systems so I could send my friend a link to this thread. I posted on here because this site seems to have more traffic. I couldn't find anything in the documentation I found online that says you absolutely can't put it outdoors.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It was hard to find but, here is a link.

http://www.us.grundfos.com/web/download.nsf/Pages/A69314CD588FA7BC88256CBF0067EDB8/$File/L-SP-TL-019.pdf

Number 8 says, -22F to 113F degress, must not be in direct sunlight, and maximum humidity is 95%. Didn't see anything on enclosure ratings. The spiders and bugs I find in them probably doesn't help either.

Attachments

• PB110010.jpg
    PB110010.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,831
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks