ConstantPressure

Reaction score

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Elsner said "if your so smart, why haven't you been installing wells for 30 years."
He is right! You already know more than the pump man, so you should be installing them instead of him.

It was at this point that Elsner began the hard sell for their constant pressure system.

They said that every campground is using them and that customers love it. They said they are very reliable and they never have a problem with them. I said the old well pump was almost 30 years old, so it is obviously a proven system.

The Grundfos SQE with the CU301 has only been around since 1999. Since that time they have gone through many updates and alterations. Last I heard they were working on “generation 8” upgrades. There might accidentally be one that has run for 17 years, but I doubt it. Most have been replaced several times by now. Some of them were replaced under warranty, but most people had to shell out additional funds to keep their water flowing.

I soon learned that the Grundfos CU301 was never rated for an outdoor installation.

I then did some research on the Grundfos system, and everything I read was far from good. When I mentioned this to Elsner, they said "you can never believe what you read on the internet, these systems work great".

I mentioned the Cycle Stop Valve which also allows the use of a small pressure tank (and time proven existing pumps).

Elsner said "the cycle stop valves are no good because they are hard on the pumps" so they never sell them. I said that throttling the pumps down isn't hard on the pumps, it actually reduces the amount of work the pump is doing.

They also put the shut off valve for the new well on the wrong side of the little pressure tank and used about five more elbows than they should have.

Elsner said "we always plumb the pressure tanks in that way". They also said that the 20 gallon pressure tank they installed was better than the 32 gallon I had because it is "matched" to the pump.

Installed an indoor only controller outdoors? Thinks CSV’s are hard on pumps? Which is wrong of course. Installed shut off valve on wrong side of pressure tank? And there is no “matching” the tank to the pump with any constant pressure system.

"you can never believe what you read on the internet, these systems work great". Yeah for him! He has already made an extra 2K off of you, and there is no way that system is going to last 30 years like your last system.

I told them the pressure tank is there to limit the cycling of the pump, so bigger is better.
True but when you have a Cycle Stop Valve to eliminate the cycling the tank is almost a moot point and doesn’t need to be larger.

I just assumed if you had thirty years experience installing wells you would have learned how they work. The final bill also somehow reached $10,300.

It sounds like the only thing he has learned in 30 years is how to increase the bill. But that is what the manufacturers are teaching these days. One class at the next Water Well convention is titled “Optimize Your Revenue per Site Visit; Why You Should Invest in VFD’s”. The class explanation says “how to leverage VFD’s, gain the up-sell, and generate more revenue per site visit”. In other words they are teaching pump installers how to use VFD’s to make more money, which of course comes at the expense of the homeowner or end user.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks