Grout Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdbs3

Reaction score
My bathroom tub is leaking along the caulk/grout line where the wall tiles meet the cast iron tub. I have decided to use grout rather than caulk. A few very basic questions:

o What type of grout:

- sanded or unsanded,
- pre-mixed grout or unmixed?

o Should the grout be mixed with an exterior grout additive?

o What type of grout sealer is recommended?

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Industry standards for tiled things says caulk at all changes of plane, so good luck with grout there. since it is against industry standards, I'm not going to suggest any kind of grout. Good luck. If the caulk is failing, it could be for several reasons...what is the tile attached to? Drywall gets used more than it should (NEVER) in a tiled shower/tub area. Also, the tub might not be level, causing water to pool against and edge, which will create problems, too.

Sparty007

Reaction score
Grout + Sealer is not waterproof - FYI

Seal that joint with 100% silicone caulk and you'll be in better shape. It will withstand water very well.

Mr Fixit eh

DIYer
Reaction score
Another tip that I learned from my tile supply store is that when you caulk the tub-to-tile joint, you should fill the tub up with water and leave it sit over night. That will prevent the caulk from stretching and cracking down the road.

Steve

Rayh78

Reaction score
like others said you dont want grout there and its no as waterproof as caulk.
Tub moves a little and the grout will crack.
Use the best caulk you can get. Not rated for interior but think its just because because takes a while for a little bit of a smell to go away.
But try Solar Seal or big box stores sell Quad brand which would be my second choice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks