Grout Lines on Bathtub surround

Users who are viewing this thread

DKRS

Reaction score
Doing a tile surround with 4X4 tiles. Do I use 1/16 spacers or 1/8 spacers ?

Thinset or tile mastic ? Over 1/2 inch hardibacker

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all tile are created equal...if your tile are not very consistant (gauged), they can vary in size from one to another. A 1/16" spacing is tough to keep the grout lines straight - a larger one may be needed. 1/8" gives a little more leeway. Some wall tile have a built-in nub to set the gap, and no spacers are needed.

If the tub is also used as a shower, use real thinset - the stuff you mix with water; never use mastic (even if it is labeled thinset!). Mastic, if it stays damp, will turn mushy. Thinset, being cement, gets hard and stays that way. Real thinset is usually cheaper, too, sometimes by a bunch. Caulk wherever there is a change in materials or a plane change (i.e., corners, and at the tub/tile junction), do not grout those junctions. www.johnbridge.com is a great place to get tiling help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks