Grounding a Security System Control Panel

Users who are viewing this thread

DTAZ

Reaction score
Any suggestions for grounding a security system panel? The installation manual for the system I am working on specifies an earth ground with no less than #14 wire. To reach the ground rods for the house will require a 30 foot run of copper line. They also suggest grounding to water pipes but my system is hybrid copper PEX and I see information that grounding to the water system promotes corrosion of copper.

I don't understand why it's not kosher to simply ground to the AC power system. Doesn't anyone make a 3 wire DC power brick with a ground prong? That would seem the simplest solution but a web search yields no results.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there's an exterior wall closer than 30'...nothing says you can't drive another ground rod there.

DTAZ

Reaction score
If there's an exterior wall closer than 30'...nothing says you can't drive another ground rod there.
I just got a roll of green #12 THHN to run to my ground rods. There isn't a better solution. Seems odd to me that they just don't ground the thing to the electrical system. Oh well.

DTAZ

Reaction score
Is there any valid reason not to run the ground alongside 120 volt lines and back to the ground bus in my breaker box? The main ground to the house connects there.

Stuff

Reaction score
Need to be careful as you are correct that nothing says you can't drive another rod but codes do say what to do before hooking up to it. All grounds are supposed to be connected/bonded together.

Stuff

Reaction score
I don't understand why it's not kosher to simply ground to the AC power system. Doesn't anyone make a 3 wire DC power brick with a ground prong?

What are the specs of the power supply needed? There are lots that are grounded. Do you have a properly grounded three prong receptacle?

DTAZ

Reaction score
What are the specs of the power supply needed? There are lots that are grounded. Do you have a properly grounded three prong receptacle?
The spec is for a separate earth ground rather than an equipment ground. The power supply is a two prong DC 12 volt wall brick. I talked with the alarm company I received the gear from and they implied that there is no good reason not to supply a grounded 12 volt DC transformer but that the industry standard is to connect to an earth ground. I suppose it's the same as the telephone service in that way. The alarm company generally uses a water pipe or borrows off of equipment ground from the nearest receptacle if an earth ground is not close at hand. So they ignore the instructions if inconvenient. Since I have my walls open I can just run a conductor back to my breaker panel and that will give me a bonded ground right at the connection of the earth ground to my electrical panel.

Last edited:

JoanNash

Reaction score
I just got my very first security system, and I am facing the same issue regarding the control panel, as I have zero experience in such things. Didn't totally understand what you ended up doing though. Before, I had only security software from https://fidusinfosec.com/penetration-testing/physical-security/ and that one was much easier to manage. I don't think I will end up doing this on my own because I tried to install it once and to no avail. Great advice, however, I'm just not proficient in such things.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
.......I suppose it's the same as the telephone service in that way. The alarm company generally uses a water pipe or borrows off of equipment ground from the nearest receptacle if an earth ground is not close at hand. .....

Thi security DC voltage supply wants what you might call a "clean ground". The green wire ground from the panel can be noisy, that is it can pick up transits in the alternation current world. I worked in telephony for most of my career and installing communications systems, a clean earth ground was paramount for the POTS -48v DC telephones. IP phones are different.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a difference between grounding something and bonding equipment to ground. Subtle in some ways, but critical for proper safety.

Communications systems are particularly sensitive to proper grounding.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thi security DC voltage supply wants what you might call a "clean ground". The green wire ground from the panel can be noisy, that is it can pick up transits in the alternation current world.
Nonetheless, it is not allowed (and a bad idea) to drive an isolated ground rod for a piece of equipment. Every ground rod has to be interconnected to the grounding electrode system used to earth the utility power at the service entrance.

The most that the security panel can ask for is a separate grounding jumper back to that grounding electrode system. And I seriously doubt that is of any value, just use the EGC in the supplying circuit.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks