Grounding a portable generator

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Cubey, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Cubey

Cubey New Member

Wow, you FINALLY answered my question of WHERE the bonding should occur!! AFTER I take my generator apart. I asked you TWICE *where* it would be and you would not answer my question.

And I already TOLD YOU no one in this piece of crap town will touch a portable generator. I would probably have to drive 2 hours (each way) to MAYBE find someone who would.

2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Instructor
    And just what is the drive worth to you, the price of a generator, the price of someone getting hurt or even killed?

I don't know the style of generator you have and the bonding will take place at a point on the system that the system was designed to be bonded. To try to bond it where you want to may end up costing you a generator so as I have pointed out so many times before, SEEK HELP FROM A COLEMAN DEALERSHIP!!

3. Cubey

Cubey New Member

Thank you for that bit of advice. It somehow never occurred to me to look for a Coleman Powermate recommended shop. I went back to the Powermate site and found a "Service Centers" locater. Turns out there is one locally and the Powermate site says they work on generators, however the shop appears to be closed today (no answer). I will have to probably call back next Wednesday since they will probably be closed until then due to holidays.

Hopefully it won't cost anymore than $50 to have this done (may have them also inspect/replace the brushes while they're at it) if the place does in fact work on generators like the site says. It would be something if they don't. I will be very upset if they don't. The next nearest is approximately 60 miles but thats still better than 130 miles/2 hours.

Oh, and reassembling the generator wasn't hard after all. There is just a trick to getting the big metal panel back on due to the hard to get at lock nuts.