Ground Wires Only Twisted

Users who are viewing this thread

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have seen grounds (2) twisted together about 4". There was no way they were coming apart so I left them. I have seen grounds that were minimally twisted and I corrected them. If you are replacing the receps anyway, might as well take 30 seconds and slip a barrel crimp on there.

In the early 60's they would twist ALL the grounds at the panel and land them under one lug. I never fix those unless I change the panel.

If it aint broke............

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I was wrong

... two or more wires properly twisted together are definitely "mechanically connected", and no wire nut is necessary for keeping them that way ...

This evening I discovered I was quite wrong about that. I was doing some more wiring for my basement lights, and I made a final connection in a junction box with the power still on. There were already two set of wires twisted and nutted together there, and I was quite surprised to see a small spark at the very end of one of the twists after the nut had been removed. So from now on, I will always use either nuts or crimps even on twisted ground wires.

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
Speedy Petey preveously quoted NEC Article 250.8. Just remember the codes are a minimum. They are proven over a long period of time. REMEMBER THEY ARE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR SAFETY

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks