Ground rods next to basement foundation

Users who are viewing this thread

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted...

While preparing to replace my 50 year old Zinsco panel, I discovered that the entire house is ungrounded. No ground rods and the original galvanized water service is long gone and now plastic.

The panel is inside the basement and the meter is directly above on the main floor wood framed wall. My question is: Is there reason not to drive ground rods next to the basement wall?

Thanks...

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A ground rod must be in damp soil and about two feet from the building. Check with a local electrician since location requirements may defer around the country.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
A ground rod must be in damp soil and about two feet from the building. Check with a local electrician since location requirements may defer around the country.
Thanks. I'll try to get downtown and ask the inspector. I'm just wondering if I missed something in the code about an adjacent basement wall vs, say, slab on grade...

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Your electrician will tell you code says you need 2 rods spaced at least 6' apart as close to the main panel/meter as possible.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd call DigSafe prior to pounding in any ground rods. It won't prevent you from puncturing a building drain, but will prevent you from damaging electrical, gas, or sewer lines.

05wrangler

Reaction score
I would call a locate out like jadnashua said. Also like was stated by jadanashue it will not keep you off perimeter drains. So I would step back about 6 feet from the wall. This will also insure that you will be away from any over pour of the foundation. In my area with within soil content one rod is almost always good enough. The NEC (2014) only requires a supplement electrode if your rod has a resistance to earth of higher than 26 ohms. ( you will need a specific meter to determine this) depending on where your at and the soil content you might need more than one. Also, the rod must be atleast 8 feet in length and completely underground for 8 feet(unless you hit rock then there are other things you can do) and 5/8 inch in diameter unless listed and the largest wire required to this rod is a #6. Also you must use a listed and approved clamp ("football" clamp is what is normally used although cadwelding is popular in commercial/industrial)

Hope this helps.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. This is a 60 year old house, and I know where everything is (grew up here). I have a ground resistance meter, but the city wants two rods, and doesn't care about the readings. I'm tempted to drive them through holes in the basement floor, but the 7 1/2 foot ceiling would mean going in at an angle...

I'm on my way downtown to ask. Thanks everyone.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
AHJ says two ground rods (6 feet apart) as close as I like to the basement wall, without hitting the footing, of course. There is no perimeter drain... Thanks everyone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks