Ground Rod Dryer

Users who are viewing this thread

vman

Reaction score
I was building out a basement laundry. The electrical main is grounded to a rod in my basement. The rod sticks up about a foot or so. I'm wondering if there is any issue placind a dryer or washer near it?

Thassler

Reaction score
I'm only a DIYr but I wouldn't think there would be a problem as long as the ground wire back to the panel is somewhat protected from damage. I wouldn't want an out of balance washer walking around on the ground rod or wire.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
The ground rod is not doing very much so there is no problem in putting things near it. Many times the water pipe entering the house is used for the same purpose so think of it that way.

The thing I have a problem with is the fact that it is a hazard and code violation that it is a foot out of the ground. It should be flush.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Or at least cut it off with a sawzall and bang on it for a bit to make it look good:D Um.. not that I or anyone I know has ever done that.

3m

Reaction score
It is code to connect the ground to reed bar installed in the footers, but the wire should be protected from damage, and if its sticking up a foot that sounds dangerous, normally they only leave a few inches sticking up

3m

Reaction score
He or She may already be at it, on one of the previous post he recommended that you pound on or cut the rod, I would prefer the rod be cut just in case it is a reed bar that is incased in the footer and pounding on it with a hammer may break it loose and you loose your ground

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
OH, you are say this might actually BE the rebar. I see now.

This is not a bad assumption, especially if the house is newer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks