Grohflex rough in box upside down

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeffn3545

Reaction score
I finished roughing in my bathroom yesterday and pressure tested successfully. Today I was cleaning up and getting ready to install Kerdi board and noticed that I installed my Grohflex universal roughin box upside down... cold line is plumbed to the hot side, etc.

I'm glad I found this out now but was wondering if it matters. The box fittings are just passing through to the cartridge, however I am not certain as to whether the cartridge has specific north/south pattern.

Before I take it apart and burn a few hours getting it repositioned, I wanted to ask here for advice and guidance.

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

It looks like you may be okay with that.

groflex-pic.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The two outlet ports are different sizes. In a tub/shower, you do want it oriented properly because you want the tub to fill as fast as possible from the larger port. FOr a shower only, it really doesn't matter as long as the body is not keyed so the cartridge can only be inserted one way, or the handle would be 180 off.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The two outlet ports are different sizes. In a tub/shower, you do want it oriented properly because you want the tub to fill as fast as possible from the larger port. FOr a shower only, it really doesn't matter...
I'm not familiar with that model but my Delta rough-in has a smaller port for the shower. I think if it were reversed in a tub/shower with popup diverter that using the smaller port for the tub filler could cause the shower to dribble while the tub was filling.

In my case, I used it on a shower only install so I reversed it so the larger port went to the shower and capped the smaller port.

groflex-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, in a tub/shower configuration, if the smaller port fed the tub spout, you'd likely always be getting some water out of the showerhead. In a shower only, unless you've got multiple showerheads, it doesn't matter, but won't hurt to have the larger port feeding them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks