Grohe Twin-Ell for Bath Filler - installing sideways

Users who are viewing this thread

coolspot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm redoing my bath tub and installing a Grohe shower system. Part of the system is a Twin-Ell for the bath tub filler.

My wall unfortunately is a bit shallow to fit the Twin-Ell normally (i.e. perpendicular to the wall), is it OK to install it sideways (Twin-Ell turned to the left, profile of the device is thinner) and then route the connection back to the tub filler? I don't see why not as this is a passive device so orientation doesn't matter as long as it's horizontal to the ground?

Is this correct?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
AS long as you make the connections to the proper openings, it does not matter HOW it is installed. BUT, if the path from the twin ell to the diverter spout is too circuitous, it may create the backflow the twin ell was designed to eliminate. I have installed the twin ell with the valve connection to the rear opening and the shower rising from the front one up in front of the valve body. It will affect the flow somewhat.

coolspot

Reaction score
That's what I thought ... I would have preferred to have straight runs, but the wall cavity is too small.

Also, why is it so hard to find decent looking 3/4 tub diverter spouts? All I can find are standard looking ones from Moen, nothing higher end from Grohe and similar. :|

coolspot

Reaction score
Found one... Grohe Arden 13190000, not exactly exciting but seems better than the basic ones at Home Depot... So much money for a tub spout!

coolspot

Reaction score
A Smart Car and a Rolls Royce will do the same thing. You pay extra for the "brand name". Same with Grohe.

True ... but they look so different!

I'm just surprised at the lack of 3/4" spouts, I would have thought manufacturers would build them for 3/4 then reduce them to 1/2 as necessary, that way it seems they can cover the broadest market - but I guess more materials, means more costs.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Just like with Rolls, with Grohe you are paying extra for the LOOKS. In the old days, twin ells were the common thing so they DID make many different 3/4" spouts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks