GROHE SmartControl Shower Valve Clogging with mystery material

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee ehrens

Reaction score
Hi, thanks in advance for the assistance.
So we installed a Grohe Smart Control shower valve in our new shower, we have three heads connected to it (main shower head, rain head and handheld). Shortly after the new installation I noticed the pressure decrease drastically while using one day. Did some reading and realized there are filter screens in the valve.

I took the valve apart, removed the filter screen(s) and found black plastic rubbery debris clogging the screen, cleaned it out and all was good for a few days, it then clogged again. Repeated and found the same rubbery black debris, at this time I also removed the main thermostatic valve and found it to be completely clogged with the same black rubbery debris. Again cleaned it out, figured it was some construction debris that got into the line during installation and all was good for a short time. It has since happened multiple times, albeit less debris but still enough to slow the flow. Continue forward, weeks pass and all seemed to be resolved, then all of a sudden started again, again removed the screens and found same black debris...

Needless to say I'm at a loss, all other faucets, showers, etc. all work well with no noticeable change in pressure, only the shower.

Any help with what this may be would be very helpful.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

filter screen clogged.jpg
Main Valve clogged.jpg
Main valve.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is it the hot side only or do you lose both hot and cold? By chance at the water heater are there braided flex hoses used? SOme braided hoses use a rubber like hose under the braid that can degrade over time. Does the material feel gridy like rubber or does it smear like mold?

You might want to check the washing machine hot water side at the washer that also has a filter screen built into the hose washer. The shower/tub and washing machine are about the only two appliances that can draw all the water available and the water flow really speeds up. It's possible something is breaking loose with the high flow rate. Check the toilet tank for similar material.

Lee ehrens

Reaction score
Is it the hot side only or do you lose both hot and cold? By chance at the water heater are there braided flex hoses used? SOme braided hoses use a rubber like hose under the braid that can degrade over time. Does the material feel gridy like rubber or does it smear like mold?

You might want to check the washing machine hot water side at the washer that also has a filter screen built into the hose washer. The shower/tub and washing machine are about the only two appliances that can draw all the water available and the water flow really speeds up. It's possible something is breaking loose with the high flow rate. Check the toilet tank for similar material.

Lee ehrens

Reaction score
Just the hot side, cold stays clear.
Its definitely a rubber material, not mold/mildew.
Ill check the washer hose and the hot water heater; which was changed a couple of years ago, so I cant imagine the hose is breaking down, but ill check
thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's very common for the braided connectors on the water heaters to put out flecks of black rubber. People are posting about that issue all the time here. And in the field they are leaking and being replaced. The plumbers are using corrugated on water heaters and not the braided.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks