Grohe shower handle, Cannot figure out how to tighten

Users who are viewing this thread

JustinB60

Reaction score
I have a multiple zone shower and one of the three zone on/off knobs started getting loose a few months ago and now has fallen off. The cartridge inside wall is splined, then there is a white plastic piece that screws to threads outside of that and then handle screws inside of that white plastic piece to tighten against the tile to create tight seal (I think). Issue is I cannot get it tight because you can only tighten down so far before you can’t fit your finger behind knob against the white plastic to spin it, so your left with a knob with 3/4” gap behind it. I cannot find a set screw or cap on this knob… but I do see a small gap that I thought was a cap but when I pry on it I feel like I’m going to break it. Anyone ever seen these before and know how I’m supposed to tighten it down? I even considered cutting hole in drywall behind the shower to access to tighten but when I looked closer at it now I realize I wouldn’t be able to fit fingers through gap in back side to tighten the plastic cap down either. I’m clearly missing something… unless the plumber who installed this knows magic.

Photos below are showing first splined cartridge on wall, then first plastic piece that screws onto outside threaded portion of cartridge, then the knob that I can’t screw down alll the way because eventually fingers not small enough since you have to tighten until no gap left.

D71DB75F-D1E8-47B5-96B4-6635F58570CC.jpeg1AEE8116-FBC9-476D-AA81-59F565E0D745.jpeg 7032418F-2754-4622-B35F-01427F9EFC8A.jpeg 97F57B47-3AC7-44CC-BF2B-C01CF1A7D590.jpeg 62F7BC72-4E05-40D6-BB74-03B042B925E8.jpeg

What the other knob looks like fully tightened down. It’s so tight the collar/seal doesn’t even rotate if you try to twist it. I’m clearly missing something here.

707F066C-BA9A-46F4-85B0-06273FCBFBBC.jpeg

JustinB60

Reaction score
Can anyone give me advice on this? Kinda stuck… not sure how to tighten this nozzle back down.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you have a clue what brand and model it is? This is one reason why people should save the installation instructions for this sort of thing, and pass it on to the next owner, if the house gets sold...it makes fixing things and finding the right parts SO much easier.

I don't have a clue what brand or model it is, but if you're lucky, someone might. Is there any symbol or text on any of the parts you can see when taking it apart as you've done that might give a clue? SOme do put a symbol on it, some write out the company name, some don't mark it at all...

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
This trim must be assembled a piece at a time. All handle components heed to be disasembled. The breakdown shows 2 different trims. Omit #1 and use #2. Once the plastic parts are installed the handle will snap in place

Attachments

• 29267sp (1).pdf
    138.3 KB · Views: 147

JustinB60

Reaction score
Wow, that looks like it’s exactly the same assembly MarlinMan! Thank you so much, I’ve been struggling with this for a while and kept fearing I would break something trying to figure out how it is put together since I kept trying to figure out what pieces came apart, but they felt almost like they were one solid piece. I’m going to use this assembly instruction and take the handle in garage to try to disassemble it all and then I’ll go reassemble it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks