Grohe Rough-In valve - Routing tub spout outlet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sokolq55

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience installing the Grohe Rapido Smartbox rough-in valve?

I see that the outlets (A, B, C in the picture) are at 3, 9, and 12 o'clock - so what would be the best way to route the tub spout outlet if this is installed on center, short of a bunch of elbows. Seems like a really weird setup.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 4.28.45 PM.jpg

Sokolq55

Reaction score

I get how the trim works. I'm just seeing that normally rough-in valves will have hot/cold intakes on sides and the tub outlet will be on the bottom so that when you install the rough in valve centered with tub, you just run the tub line directly down to the stub out.

In this rapido box setup, the hot/cold intakes are on the bottom and the outlets are on the sides/top. This way you have to elbow your way from either side down to the stub out. I guess I'm wondering if that's a problem for a tub spout....to not just run directly down from rough in valve.

Also, would you guys recommend putting in hammer arrestors on the intake lines? I've seen a picture from Terry where he had these installed. I was wondering if you put them in "just in case" or if it's overkill. I've never had water hammering issues in the past...but everything is re-plumbed differently now for my new bathroom remodel.

Thanks all

Sokolq55

Reaction score
Found this picture from one of their tradeshows which shows the tub connection plumbed in. I still think it makes more sense if the hot/cold inputs came in on the sides, but this at least explains it better than any of the literature from Grohe. Might be helpful for another DIYer in the future, wondering the same thing I did.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 9.34.23 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 9.28.43 PM.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would like to see how your setup with the hot and cold coming in from the sides and the tub spout leaving from the bottom works out. Sound interesting.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
POC doesent nessesarily mean " Point of Connection" could mean "piece of ????" bad joke sorry
Grohe is nice stuff not familiar with that one but directions or perhaps tech line .
Ive never put hammer arestors on a tub or shower valve if its some real high flow might not be a bad idea especialy if your water piping install is not up to par , undersized , long runs, not strapped very well. I pretty much only install water hammer arestors for 2 reasons 1 Code compliance when required 2 To help solve a water hammer issue. but I never install as a general preventetive measur

Sokolq55

Reaction score
I would like to see how your setup with the hot and cold coming in from the sides and the tub spout leaving from the bottom works out. Sound interesting.

I’m not installing it that way. It’s designed for hot and cold to come in on the bottom. I’m just saying from a routing-the-pipes point of view, it would be easier if they had the tub coming out on the bottom.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We've used this valve a few times. I don't get to use the end product but I've never had any customer complaints.

Sokolq55

Reaction score
@Sokolq55, did you end up installing this valve and how did it work out? Happy with the results? I'm considering using it...
So far, love it. Not sure how it will work years down the time if I ever have to replace it with a more "standard" valve because the rough opening for this valve is quite larger than anything else. But so far, so good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks