Groaning/ vibration from pipes after installing new water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Laura61377

Reaction score
We are experiencing a groaning/vibration coming from water pipes. We had the water shut off for 2 days while installing a new water heater. The groaning started after the water was turned back on. We have tried turning the water back off and letting the pipes drain through the faucets and then turning it back on. I have noticed that if I turn the valve off to the toilet the groaning will stop. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Sounds like the toilet fill valve is leaking. Maybe some junk got dislodged with the water heater replacement and made its way to the toilet valve.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
We are experiencing a groaning/vibration coming from water pipes. We had the water shut off for 2 days while installing a new water heater. The groaning started after the water was turned back on. We have tried turning the water back off and letting the pipes drain through the faucets and then turning it back on. I have noticed that if I turn the valve off to the toilet the groaning will stop. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sounds like the valve for the toilet is shot

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Whenever you shut the water off, once it is turned back on again, it dislodges various stuff in the pipes. That can give valve seats a problem. Depending on the toilet valve you have, it may be repairable easily, and it may only require taking the seal out, wiping away any debris, and putting it back on. On many (Korky, and Fluidmaster come to mind), it's a no-tools, couple of minute fix. Worst case, you replace the seal, which is easily available at most big box stores and any good plumbing store. You might want one of those on hand, and just replace it...a few bucks verses $10-20 for a whole valve. If what you have is not repairable, then just buy a new one. Doesn't take a huge amount of skill, but it will need to be adjusted once installed for your particular toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks