Grinder pump vs. sewage pump for ejector pit

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian Jordan

Reaction score
Hi, I am adding a basement half bath that will be plumbed to an existing ejector pit. The existing (old) pump is connected to the main sewer with a 1.5" pipe and about 7 feet of head. The old pump only had to deal with graywater (utility sink & floor drain for furnace & AC condensation), so a new pump is required. We are connected to a municipal sewage system.

A sewage pump seems to be the obvious choice, but requires 2" piping. This requires cutting the 4" main drain to add a new 2" wye. A "socket saver' might work, but space is pretty tight as the main 4" horizontal drain is up in the ceiling joists.

Would a "residential" grinder pump be a be a better solution? The Zoeller model 803 "shark" has a 1.25" discharge that would easily connect to the existing plumbing.

I'm aware that grinder pumps cost more, but that is offset by not requiring a full discharge re-pipe.

Thanks!
-Brian

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both pumps work for their intended purpose. I have a sewage ejector that has been replaced recently after more than 20yrs of service. A grinder pump will allow you to not change the tie in connection. So the trade off is save cash but spend time or save time and spend the cash. If I had the cash, I would go with the grinder pump and spend my time doing something enjoyable.

zoeller-instructions.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks