Greenhouse ventilation motors, thermostat, and wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

TJanak

Reaction score
I rent space in a greenhouse that has two ventilation fans, 1 HP motors each wired for 240V. This year one motor was bad so it was partially disconnected (one leg) and the other was turning at a much slower speed and I only got 68V across both legs at this motor. These motors are controlled by a Dayton line voltage thermostat.

Opening up the fusebox, I could not figure out the wiring. Looked like they were wired in series with the thermostat stuck in there somewhere. I took it all apart and started over, with two legs from the fuses going to the thermostat and then on to only one fan. It now runs correctly.

Problem is I would like to hook up the other fan but the thermostat is rated 8 amps at 240V. These motors are each ~6 amps. I know both fans used to run correctly (simultaneously) several years ago. Were they simply running 12 amps through the thermostat or could they be hooked up in a way that the thermostat could control both fans without full current going through the thermostat?

I don't see how but figured I would ask.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could use the thermostat to control a power contactor...just make sure the contactor contact rating is sufficient for the motors being used. The coil of that should easily be within the range of the thermostat's ability.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
It would probably be just as cheap to buy a second line voltage thermostat...

TJanak

Reaction score
I guess they must have both been run through the thermostat, even though it would be overloaded. Two thermostats would work but it would be better if both fans turned on and off at the same time. Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The description is confusing. IF the motor was bad and one leg was disconnected, why would you now try to resurrect it? A 240v thermostat should have had 4 terminals, but you imply it only had one line going through it. What was connected in series? The motors? If so, disconnecting the wire from one of them should also have also kept the other one from working until it was rewired.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks